Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Red Scrotum 2 months

About two months ago I woke up one morning and my scrotum was very itchy and burning, it was quite red. The night before I had put on some baby powder around my groin, I don't know if that is what caused it. I also had unprotected sex about 3 weeks earlier. I went to the doctor and she said that it was fungal and perscribed a mixture of Lamasil and Hydrocortizone 1% cream which I put on twice daily for approximately three weeks. In that time I did everything I could to keep the area as dry as possible. I went to the doctor again because it did not seem to get better and this time I was given straight Lamasil cream. This was applied for about 1 1/2 weeks, and it did seem to get less red. Although I noticed when I showered or when I sweat that bright red spots would appear and sometimes they would seem to spread all over. I got sick (broncitis) and it seemed to get worse again so I went to see my family physician who perscribed a mixture of Betaderm and ecostatin cream to be applied three times a day. He beleived it could have been yeast or jock itch and this cream would take care of both ( although it didn't seem like he took a very thorough look). Anyways I applied it, and for the first couple days the redness seemed to disappear, but one day when I was showering I saw a bright red spot on my scrotum and watched it spread all over in an instance. I went back to the doctor after a week of applying the cream because I didn't feel it was getting better. He then gave me ketoconazole pills to take once daily, however I read up on some of the side effects and decided to stop taking them after two doses. I went to see a different doctor following my decision to stop taking the pills and she told me that it could be yeast, jock itck or just irritated skin. She told me just to apply over the counter miconazole nitrate cream 2 % twice daily which I have been doing for about five days. My Scrotum is still red although the itching and burning have subsided to a point. I figure that if it were jock itch or yeast then it would be gone by now. What do you think it could be? Furthermore, I have recieved different answers from doctors regarding sex, some have said I shouldn't worry about spreading jock itch or yeast but others said I could spread either. Could this be spread? I have been seeing this girl that I realy like for about a month, however I don't want to scare her off by saying I can't have sex with her because I don't want to spread whatever it is I have (The last doctor I saw was sure it wasn't an STD). Should I be abstaining from sex? The last thing I want to do is give this girl what I have, but I don't want to scare her off. I should mention that I am an athlete and do work out alot if that has any bearing on what I may or may not have. Please help doc.
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, Itchy, burning, tingling, tight skin, scrotum was started.
Helpful - 0
Saw the skin doctor today and he said it was certainly caused by stress, anxiety and/or deppression. He perscribed a mixture of weak hydrocortizone and menthol.
Helpful - 0
you got one hell of a problem, don't spread it, spread the word about it though.
Helpful - 0
Thanks alot Doc, I appreciate it.
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
OK, I'll try.

Fungus affects the folds of the groin, not the scrotum.  Yeast is fiery red, has pustules, and doesn't come and go.  I don't think you have either.  By the way, neither fungus nor yeast is likely to be contagious.  But anyway.

I think you have irritation, that's all.  The antifungal creams you've used are beside the point.  Cortisones are OK, but regular use makes the skin stay redder longer.

My advice: See a skin doctor who can actually confirm what you have.  Meantime, use only bland moisturizers.  Don't rub.  And I see no need for you to abstain from sex.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0
Could it be bacterial not fungal?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions