Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Male Yeast Infection?

In December of 2003, I had an unprotected sexual encounter.  A week later, irritation within the penis began.  I went to a doctor, and was tested for STD's.  Chlamydia, Gonorrea, and Syphillis all came back negative.  The doctor prescribed an antibiotic, as she felt that it was a non specific urethra infection (NSU) causing the irritation.

I took the medication, and the symptoms were lessened.  However, it is almost 5 months later, and I still have occasional interior penile irritation.  My question is- what is causing this?  Is it possible that the antibiotic did not clear up the infection, and I need to get another prescription?  As I've researched this on the web, I've also learned about male yeast infections, and thought that could be possible as well.  (especially because I took an antibiotic, which can sometimes lead to a yeast infection).  Also, the girl that I had the encounter with has chronic yeast infections.  

I have no external symptoms.  There is no rash, no bumps, and no blisters in the genital area.  The only symptom is irritation that feels like it's "inside" the penis, in the urethra.  This irritaion occurs daily, but is not constant.  There is no discomfort during urination.  What do you feel is the most likely cause of this?  Thank you for any help.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Don't know.  Probably anxiety.  Male yeast infections, at least the ones I'm familiar with, affect the outside of the penis and scrotum with a red rash surrounded by pustules.  I suggest you call the doctor who examined and tested you and ask whether there is any point in rechecking you and repeating some of the tests.  If you haven't had sex again since the incident, the answer may be no, but it's worth asking.  If you find that you have no demonstrable disease, you should take some comfort from the fact that if you think hard enough about any body part, such as the urethra, it will itch, hurt, or burn.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 1
Does anyone know if male yeast infections always form in the same place. I only have symptoms after sex without a condem? is there a permanent cure.  or will i always get this.
Helpful - 0
I think I have a yeast infection given to me by my wife who has problems with this. There is a little redness and pain when I have an erection. Are there any OTC medicines that can effectively treat yeast infections in men? I have not seen or heard of any. I would really like not to see a doctor but I do want to get this taken care of. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Joshua
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions