Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Supposed fungus infection on my genitals

Dr. R.,

About three and a half weeks ago, I had unprotected sex with a girl I met at a party.  A couple of days later, many little white or pinkish bumps appeared on my penis and scrotum, along with some redness and itching.  I went to a clinic, and the doctor told me that it did not look like an STD, but more like some kind of fungus infection.  He presrcibed some Nizoral 2% cream, to be rubbed in twice daily.  About two and a half weeks passed, and the itching seemed to go away, but the bumps and the redness were still there.  He assured me that this was NOT an STD and prescribed some Mycolog-II cream, to be rubbed in four times a day.  That was three days ago, and the redness comes and goes, but the bumps are still there and show no signs of going away!  I get a sneaking suspicion that it's not a fungus infection at all, but some freaky skin thing, and that the more I rub this cream in, the longer I'm going to have these bumps due to the friction of rubbing the medication in.  What do you think?  Can you help me?

Stevesaxophone
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Fungus usually affects the groin, not the shaft, so i agree that what you have is probably not a fungus but rather follicular irriation, possibly from friction during sex.  Not an STD.  I advise you to apply 1% hydrocortisone (OTC) once dily for 2 weeks and to otherwise leave the area completely alone.  The redness will take care of itself.  Mycolog is a  bit strong for regular use on the genitals, so I'd stop that at this point.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0
Sorry.  I also forgot to mention that the bumps are painless, and I'm worried because A) I don't want to give anything to anybody, and B) I don't like looking down and seeing bumps and redness... you know, down there.  That's all.

Stevesax
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions