Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Scar tissue on frenulum (penis)

Recently I had a bad sore on my frenulum, about 3mm across. This healed over, but now I'm left with a 'band' of scar tissue 3mm wide around the frenulum, about half way between the glans and the shaft, which is thicker and much less supple than the rest of the skin. The result is that the edges are slightly raised and form noticable bumps. Although this is not painful, it is somewhat distressing, especially during oral sex. My frenelum is normally quite large and tense when erect, so this tends to smooth down the raised edges a little, but it's quite noticable nevertheless. Are there any medications that could be used to reduce the hardness or increase suppleness of the scar tissue, or any medical procedure to smooth it out? I also have an annoying tendency to fiddle with it (constant rubbing, bathing etc.) which is probably causing the surface to keratonize and worsen more.

Thanks!

Mark.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
You are correct that rubbing will make the matter persist and worsen.  I advise you to leave the area alone other than to keep it lubricated (vaseline, etc.) and to consult with a urologist, who would be best able to tell you whether surgery is feasible.

I've never seen a sore cause permanent scarring like what you describe, by the way, so maybe time will help.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0
Thanks! I have just visited my doctor who told me there are actually small skin fissures at either end that have not had a chance to heal properly, and are being continually inflammed (along with the rest of the fenulum) by my rubbing. He has presscribed a cotizone/antibacterial cream (Fucibet) and told me to leave it well alone for at least 2 weeks. This correlates very nicely with your diagnosis. A great forum, thanks again!

Mark.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions