Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

It's been a year since I got this

I am a 32 year old male, uncircumscided, about a year ago I noticed a rash on the head of the penis, it came 3 days after I had unprotected oral and vaginal sex with 2 different partners, It looked like an overall rednes with an abundance of smegma, which I rarely get, since I got balanitis a few years ago I aplied clotrimazole cream twice a day for 1 week and it went away but it returned 2 days later, I went to the doctor and they said that it was a fungus or yeast infection and gave me a prescription for a one pill dose for candida and told me to use clotrimazole for 2 weeks, it went away but again it returned.
I have been to 2 doctors and 3 dermatologists now and they all said it was fungus or yeast, based only on a visual diagnosis, no actuall tests have been done of the skin.
I have been tested for herpes, gonorrea, chlamydia, syphilis and HIV all with negative results.
I have used clotrimazole, miconazole and ketoconazole, also ketoconazole pills for 10 days, all antifungal creams clear the rash but it always comes back and I have tried every possible lenght of time, 2,4, 5 weeks, once or twice a day.
The best result was with ketoconazole once a day (before bed) for 4 weeks and I was clear for 5 weeks, I stoped having sex too to see if it helped but the rash always comes back.
A dermatologist prescribed a combination of hidrocortizone and iodoquinol and it was very effective, used it for 3 days but as soon as I stoped the rash came back really hard.
I used hidrocortizone and bacitracin by themselves but they didn't help.
The last dermatologist told me basically to live with it and keep aplying the cream, I am concerned about the effects of using so much antifungals on my penis, the rash looks like pinsize red dots, and if I look closely they look like open sores, and sometimes it looks like small red spots and they always happen in the head and foreskin only.
When the rash is gone there still is a general redness that was not there before,  and the rash itself does not itch and hurts only if I touch it or wash it (I am very clean)
The last thing I tried was retracting my foreskin and leave it like that, having the head continually exposed, but the dots still come back.
Who should I see?  an internal medicine doctor? drematologist?urologist?  should I ask them to actually test the rash?
Many Thanks
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
you must get circumsized to get rid of this problem. this is a very common thing among uncircumsized men. i had this problem a couple of years ago. i got circumsized and i am now 100% better. its actually caused by your own semen. youll notice it more after youve ejaculated, at least i did. take my advice. its well worth it.
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I am quite certain that you don't have a fungus or yeast, if indeed you ever did.  There is no risk to using antifungal creams, but they work in 10 days if they are going to work at all.

I would advise you to stop all active medications--no antifungals, no cortisones, nothing.  Just lubricate with some thing light, like Lubriderm.  Pay no attention to the redness or the little red dots.  They are just clogged pores and mean nothing at all, certainly not an STD.

After you've left things alone for 6 weeks, show the rash to a dermatologist, if indeed it's still there...

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions