Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

reaction to coldness

For a little over 2 weeks now I have had a strange reaction to anything cold. First when I walk on my ceramic floor bare foot my feet burn and itch, Also going in the pool with the water cold I itch and burn all over and get a rash, but if I take a warm shower it gets better. Holding anything cold like a drink from McDonald's my hand will itch and start burning. A few nights ago I had popsicle and my mouth felt strange and I felt like I was numbing and itching. The worst time was rideing my motorcycle in the morning it was cool out and a little damp from fog and my hole body itched and swelled and burned and I got a rash. What is going on. I do not have insurance and I don't know who I can talk to, what kind of doctor do I need for this strange reaction? Is there anything I can take to help in the meantime?
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I've had problems with itchy skin since I was a teenager.  In March of this year, I was diagnosed with Hashimoto Thyroid Disease.  Since that time, my skin has itched all over - it's constant.  Claritin and Benedryl do not help at all.  I itch when take showers, excercise, go into an airconditioned room, after I bathe and shave; basically, everything makes me itch.  I looked into the possibility of having chronic idiopathic urticaria, but I don't have hives.  There is no redness - just itching all over.  Is it possible that the thyroid condition has worsened my itching condition?  My doctor put me on 7 days of prednisone, and I stopped itching for 7 days, but then it came right back.  I have to keep my entire body covered up - can't expose the skin to heat or cold.
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
There is a (rather uncommon) condition called cold urticaria, or hives from cold.  It isn't an allergy, just a tendency to get itchy or red on exposure to cold.  You ought to see a doctor about it--an allergist or a dermatologist.  Meantime, try taking Loratidine (over-the-counter Claritin) 10 mg per day.  The extent to which you respond should help your doctor tell what is up.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions