Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Finger fungus?

Hello doctor,

I noticed a little bit of a growth around one of my fingers recently and over the past few months it hasn't gone away. I think it may be some kind of a fungus, but I figured I should ask here. It has a hard but smooth consistency, tends to crack when dry and gum up when wet (ie, after I've taken a shower). It is also more sensitive than the rest of my finger. Here is a photo of my fingertip (you may need to copy the address into your browser):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v409/MikoUeda/fungus_finger.jpg

Basically, I'm looking for a) What you think it probably is and b) a treatment or two I can attempt on my own initially? I have no problem getting it checked out by a dermitologist, but I'd rather try out an over-the-counter home medication first, if at all possible.

Thanks!

Alex Haynes
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, growth around finger nail was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, Finger fungus on my right hand index finger was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, Finger Infection was started.
Helpful - 0
I have had finger nail fungi for some years now.  Whenever i let the nail grow, it does not stick to the nail bed, therefore i tend to pull it off.  At the moment, the finger does not have a nail on it.  The worst part is, it is my ring finger.  So Doctor, please tell me what to do.
Helpful - 0
Do you know what kind of wart this is? The treatments I've found tend to be categorized by wart type (ie, common, plantar, etc).

- Adam
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
These are warts.  You should see a dermatologist for treatment, which usually involves freezing the warts with liquid nitrogen.  Several sessions may be needed, as warts near the nail are resistant to therapy.  They are caused by a virus but are generally not contagious and their origin (where you got them from) is rarely known.  Over-the-counter treatments are not very helpful, though there's no harm in trying them--they all contain salicylic acid, a peeling agent.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions