Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Eczema, Herpes...

Dr. Rockoff

I am a 22 year old college student.  I have been in a monogomous relationship with my girlfriend for 1,1/2 years.  5 days ago I noticed I had 12-15 pin head sized bumps on the shaft of my penis.  I noticed them on a night after having sex with my girfriend.  They aren't painful, they aren't red, they aren't sensitive.  You would never be able to see them if I didn't point them out to you, you have to stretch the skin to get a good look. I have had eczema for many years now, and over the summer it was diagnosed on my testicals, and developed a skin tag down there, perhaps from the eczema.  Lately I was seeing this dry skin develop on my penis.  I had never had it there before, but these super tiny bumps developed where the skin was dryest.  They havent changed, spread, or become open wounds at all.  I went to a tanning booth a day ago, which I shouldnt have done cause it made the area a little sensitive, but in the uv light I got to see all the dry skin around my entire penis.  I tried using elidel on the area, but after the tanning, I think it was too sensitive.  So i simply applied neosporing over last night, and there is absolutely no redness around my penis.  The bumps are still there, but are even less visible then before.  They are slightly raised, but barely enough you can feel it when the skin is stretched.  I have always had itching in my genitals, and doctors have always told me its from my eczema.  I have another very similar looking bump on the back of my penis about 1/4 inch below the head that has been there for months, and developed in a spot that itches frequently.  But this also doesnt hurt, isnt red, or sensitive, its just kinda there, and has been for a long time.  Now that winter is coming, my skin tends to get worse, so Im hoping that is what is happening.  Im just really worried, but I wouldnt know where herpes would have come from since my gf is on the pill and gets pap smears twice a year, and she has never complained.  Maybe these are tiny cysts, or another bumps from moderate eczema.  But if its herpes I just dont know what i will do with myself.  I have read in many of your other posts that if you to stretch the skin, you're looking to hard.  But I am just a worrier, I dont have any other symptoms such as pain in abdominals, flu like symptoms, or tingling or pain.  I just need some help.
Thanks
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
The dry skin on your penis is almost certainly eczema too.  If Elidel doesn't work, one of the weaker steroids would be safe and likely effective.  I suggest you consult a dermatologist about this, but again, your symptoms remind me of eczema--which we know you have--and not of herpes or HPV or any other STD, for that matter.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0
Dr. Rockoff

Finally, I used simple Vaseline last night on my penis, not hydrocrtizone.  It is now day 7, all the redness is gone.  The bumps still look exactly the same as the first day I noticed them.  You still have to stretch the skin to see them.  they are up the left side of my shaft.  I have researched, and hopefully they are cysts or mollucum(spelling).  Hope to hear from you soon. Im going to my family Dr. Friday morning.
Helpful - 0
Also, Dr. Rockoff, I have been researching and looking at tons of pictures on the internet, and my bumps as I said are very small, and they are much smaller than any other pictures I've evern see of herpes.
Helpful - 0
One final note, at the same time I got this chaffing on my penis, the eczema on my testicals was at full force as well.  I just cant help but think they are connected throught eczema.  Thanks for you Help
Helpful - 0
Finally Dr.,

It has now been six days, and nothing from these tiny bumps.  Also they are only slightly above the area where I have hair on the bottom of my penis.  I am going to apply hydrocortizone 1% today and tonite, and see if there is some improvment.  The skin around my whole penis just looks chapped very similar to eczema on my testicals and other parts of my body, which also have bumps.  But the fact that the one of the back side on my penis has never changed or hurt, or anything in months gives me hope, these even smaller ones will do the same.  I have no trouble urinating, and no real discomfort.  Also, I have had diagnosed irriation on my penis before, but never these bumps.  Thus it would be my primary attack if it was herpes, and it looks NOTHING like any primary attacks I have seen in pictures.  Also, I will look into yeast, as well as fungual infections for the cause, because I certainly dont consider myself permicuous, and I cant help but think it has to be something other than herpes, perhaps just normal bumps, that just are there.  Please read all my comments so I can get your full opinion
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions