Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

dry untanned stubborn spot on chest

Hi,

I am 33yo, train (swim a lot + gym + cycling). After last Summer, I noticed that a spot on my chest that remained a pink-ish, untanned spot.
The spot is:
-  elongated, about 2 inches long, 1/2 inch wide
- in the middle of my chest, starting from the solar plexus and going up between the 'pecs')
- does not itch at all (sometimes some very mild and temporary itching only when very sweaty, but then goes away completely)
- if scratched, sheds very find almost powder-like dry flakes of skin, otherwise it doesn't peel in patches etc. if left alone

Hasn't spread as far as I can tell since Summer - but maybe I can only tell when exposed to Sun again next Summer, when I could be in for a shock.
Suspecting a fungal infection, I have been recommended as a light treatment Nizoral anti-fungal shampoo (for a few days, applied locally).

At the moment, it is still dry with fine flakes if scratched, so although I was expecting the discoloration to remain (and hope for next Summer tan test), the fact that it behaves as dry skin leads me to believe Nizoral may not have killed it off.

Could it be eczema? as it doesn't go red and doesn't itch at all. I'm just afraid that it may spread - my doctor sort-of shrugged shoulders and told me to give it more time, but  if this is something that needs longer treatment I'd like to do it before Summer arrives... as I am afraid it could be a lot worse now.

Would be grateful for any advice on the nature of this and what (if anything) could improve it;
Thanks,
puzzled33
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I have a spot on my chest and it has a bad odour, I wash it with many different soaps but the smell does not go away completley,and the strange thing is that when I sneeze i can smell the same smell as the spot on my chest.  when i rubb my finger against the spot it smells very strongly of the same smell cotaor.last year I squeezed it and greyish creem came out and smell like rotting flesh.ps and it keeps coming back and I dont know what to do next.
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Could be fungus, could be seborrhea (a form of eczema.)  If it's fungus, even killing the fungi doesn't bring the color back right away--it takes several months.  If you're concerned about being self-conscious with your shirt off next summer, you ought to see a skin doctor as soon as you can--the quicker you get the right cream, the more sure you'll be that your spot will be long gone by the time the sun shines again.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions