Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Allergy to Sun

I am 27 years old and have lived with a skin allergy to the UVA and UVB rays of the sun all my life. It was confirmed by a dermatologist when I was 12 that I had what was know as "EPP". I can no longer get in contact with this dr to find out the extended name of the allergy and need help. When exposed to the sun,( and I live in the caribbean!!!), my feet and hands itch terribly and burn like liquid fire has been poured on them.It can be extremely painful. My nose usually swells too. Once so bad that the skin from under my eyes almost closed them shut.The dr had said this allergy was family to asthma and due to a chemical missing in my blood and I should wear sun screen daily to help prevent the symtoms. The only relief I get is to put my feet in cold ice water and take an antihistamine to help me sleep but that does not relieve the pain. I now have a one year old son and concerned that this could be heriditary. My grandfather on my dad's side seemed to have had similar symtoms. My 2 sisters have an extremely mild case of this and my other 12 cousins have no symptoms - none of my dad's 4 sisters have the allergy. Is there anything that I can take to eliminate this? Is there anywhere I can go do find about more about this allergy? Since having the knowledge that it is the rays that cause this I do try to stay out of the sun between 10 am and 3 pm but now my job is causing me to drive alot which exposes me once again. Additionally, I want to get out and play with my son who loves the beach! If there is any advice on this - please let me know. I would be most grateful
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
That is super!!! Thank you so much. Just having the name of this allergy is a huge stride in the right direction. I will certainly look to contact the dr. you recommended!

Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
EPP refers to a condition called erythropoietic protopophyria, a condition it certainly seems that you have, based on the symptoms you describe.  This is not easy to treat.  Newer methods including the use of ultraviolet light (narrowband UVB.)  If I were you, I would consult a dermatologist, quite possibly someone with a particular interest in porphyrias.   This may involve a visit to an academic medical center in the US or elsewhere.  One name you might start by contacting is Warwick Morison, M.D., who is an expert in this area and practices in Maryland.  He is affiliated with the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.  You can get his contact information at the website of the American Academy of Dermatology, www.aad.org, where you click on "Find a Dermatologist."

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions