Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

seborrheic or something else?

Hello, and thanks so much for offering this service.

A two-part Q...

First, over the last few winters, I was getting vry very dry skin - kind of all over, but in my armpits in particular, where patches of smooth brownish skin had formed and then gone away when the temp improved (might have also occured with less prevalence on my hips - where it was also dry). I never treated it; it just itched some and i scratched it. Then this past year, the brown turned more red and was less smooth than it was more like extremely dry skin, and persisted thru the summer. It didn't really go away at all.  It's itched a couple-few times per day for months.  I finally went to the doctor/general prac. recently. They tested and there was no fungus present, and the doc said he thinks it is eczema.  He gave me a cream to use twice daily.  In only two days the redness had dicipated greatly under my arms.  I'm hoping at this rate that it just goes away entirely.  Fact is tho, for a long time the area down in my groin (anus, area between anus and scrotum) has been itchy at times too. It's never been more than a nuisance, nver debilitating - just quite itchy.  I guess everywhere from my hips, to legs, to back of ears gets pretty dry in the winter.  Admittedly, til very recently, I never did anyting to help myself.

I would not be worried about this, if I had not read up a bit on seborrheic dermatitis and learned that it can be a sign of an underlying case of HIV.  This of course effected me.  (I know SD is mostly a scalp/dandruff thing but it can affect armpits/groin/behind ears as well, per what I've been reading.) I guess what I'm asking is, does what I have sound like SD and not just eczema?  And if so, how often is SD a sign of HIV?

Sorry for melding all of this into one post. Fact is, the only risky behavior I've had in the last 10 years were two separate regrettable instances with strippers about two years ago.  In one instance I briefly received oral sex - while wearing a condom - and in the other "fingered" one for about 15 seconds (no apparent cuts on my fingers.)  From all that I've read on transmission, these are apparently low-risk events.  Am I reaching, in tying these events to possible HIV, and thinking that if I have SD, it could be an underlying sign?

I would like to get married soon, but don't want to put my fiancee at risk.  Thanks again.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
i dont under stand why my scalp itches so much all the time for about 4 months now i have been using all types of shampoos to help me but they havent yet  and nothing seems to work i try to stay healhty to keep dandruff + sebborea away but after showering it starts itching agiain and hairs sheds please someone give suPPOrt to me so i know it doesnt last forever
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
No change in my advice.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
First of all, what you have sounds like eczema, not seborrhea, because of the places you say it affects.  Second, seborrhea is extremely common, from babies on up.  There's a million cases in normal people for every one with HIV.

Having said that, I would add what you already know: avoid high-risk sexual behavior.

So basically, nothing you write makes me think you have an STD.  If you want to get blood test to be double sure, that would be optional.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0
One other thing - the itching i describe that sometimes occurs in the anal area has been there for years - long before the armpits, etc.  I'm not saying they arent related, but one defintely predates the other. Thanks.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions