Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

follow up to chickenpox or what

I'm now on day 4 of this rash everything seems like classic chickenpox except that on my face and forehead the red spots seem like pimples, not all but alot. They seem deep with some pus in them. The ones on my scalp seem very large and tend to be very sore. None of spots on any part of my body seem to itch alot. I had a fever with the chills until last night! I'm waiting for a call from my doc but it may be a while . My questions are. 1. Do the pox sometimes look like pimples. 2. Should I take an antibiotic. 3. What else could this be if not chickenpox.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi there, just wondering if the two are related and what it is that I may have.  I've had a couple cold sores on my top lip, one didn't really blow up that badly...then went away, the other didn't burst at all and I think it's going away.  All this while my daughter is just getting over shingles...she had chicken pox 8 years ago, I had chicken pox 18 years ago, but now it seems like I've been getting what appear to be pimples with clear fluid bubbles...when I popped them there was nothing but clear fluid...then they spread to a spot directly beside the original one.  I have dry skin, so don't think it's acne, yet I had one like this on my cheek, another on my forehead...that went away within a couple of days...now I know to just leave them alone but it appears I'm getting one under my chin now?  Can you get cold sores on your face, would it be shingles or maybe an std...I've just starting dating someone new.  I'm a bit freaked out, went for some blood tests and a urine test today...they said I should know the results in about 10 days...until then...what do you think?

Jessie
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Yes, they can look like pimples, at least until they scab.  If your doctor is sure this is chickenpox, you shouldn't need an antibacterial antibiotic, besides the one you're already taking against the virus, since the pus is from the virus itself.  If it isn't chickenpox, I suppose it could be some other virus.  In that case, it is likely to take care of itself.

I'd wait on your doctor's advise, but chickenpox does seem likely, it would explain your fever too, and you should be fine when you recover.  Plus, you only get chickenpox once!

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions