Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Rash on nose area

VRR
67-year-old female with a red rash over the nose and a little on each side to the cheek area, both sides and forehead.  It appears to be butterfly shaped. Not itchy, is scaly.  Have raised red bumps from time to time that are very painful and last sometimes for weeks.  The painful bumps will disappear and then re-appear for no "apparent" reason.  They can leave a red purplish scar-like area when they are gone.  I thought it oculd be lupus at first but I do not feel ill.  Dermatologist said he thought acne although by the time I saw him, I had none.I am positive it is not acne as the bumps are very red and painful.  Sometimes they appear under the eyebrow close to bridge of nose or over the eyebrow.  Was diagnosed with seborheic dermatitis on scalp years ago....could this ber the same?  The area between my eyebrows is scaly a lot but nothing ever itches.  Just feels very tender when they start to appear and then when they pop up, they are very painful.  

Thank you.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I can only guess that this is some form of rosacea, since that causes acne-like pimples, and you're too old for acne.  This is not seborrheic or any other kind of dermatitis, which produces scaling, not pimples.  Such pimples often leave red-purple marks after going away, that are long-lasting (months) but are not permanent scars.  It is best not to squeeze them, since that makes them last longer.  Ask your dermatologist about whether it is even worthwhile to treat them.  They always go away when left alone.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Pimples on both sides are not compatible with either shingles?  or lupus?  

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0
Does not sound like seborrhic dermatitis because of its location.  Could be a malar rash.  You should follow up with your doctor and get ESR and ANA to rule out lupus.  Although the rash can be an early sign without any other symptoms, your age is much older than the typical presentation.
Helpful - 0
Have you had the shingles before?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions