Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Can you call this one?

bgb
I am *finally* going to a doctor tomorrow for my horrible rash. I just wanted to get your thoughts and see how they match with my doctor's. (Excellent forum btw)

Male, 43, no apparant medical problems except controlled high blood pressure (atenolol 100mg) caused by kidney disease. About 18 months ago went to clinic with silver dollar sized circular rash on inside shin. Doc seemed unconcerned - says dermatitis and prescribes a cortisone cream which didn't seem to do much. Maybe I wasn't diligent enough. Rash was a little red and bumpy but not too itchy and I forgot about it. It never did go away. About 4-5 months ago I get an identical rash at identical spot on other leg? Seemed odd

Around same time I get a flareup on my left eyelid. It was like I put on red/purple eye shadow. There was some swelling. The "rash" terminated in an odd perfect verticle line about 3/4 way across my eyelid. Eventually (over maybe a week) it grew to make a oval pattern around the orbit of my eye (although not as bad under the eye) and a bit on the nose. Then it did the same thing around my other eye. It did that same vertical line terminus on my either eyeld too. Spread the same way. They would settle down for a few days so it didn't look bad, although you could always see the outline...then for no apparent reason BOOM it would start so swell and turn red. If I washed my face either the water or friction would trigger an inflamation. As the inflamation went down over a day or two the skin would get all flaky. I would genty remove the flakes of skin but it seemed new skin would grow but not "take". It would just keep flaking. Then after a week or whatever it would flare up again in a viscious cycle. Through experimentation I found that .5% cortisone oitment did stop or lessen the inflamation phase when I felt it coming on.

I should have went to a doctor at this point but I thought it was either allergic reation to something or blepharitis and would resolve itself?? Dumb.

It didn't resolve. Last week i got out of the shower and noticed blotches on my forehead cheek and both sides of my jaw. They started out like small dime or quarter size patches but grew over two days, especially on my forehead, so my face now looks like a map of the world. The rash on my forehead is sort of like the very top layer was sanded off. I feels grainy to the touch but not pimply. Its red and has those inflamation cycles my eyes have if I get it wet or rub it. Now today I notice I have a rash behind my ear and into my scalp. and a quarter size circular rash on the back of my neck.

It seems like whatever it is is spreading out of control this week so I hope the doctors can determine what it is and do something. The last couple of days I have become really distressed over this. Do you have any idea what I'm describing because I can't figure it out. It almost seems like a spreading infection. Bacteria? Virus? Fungus? Could it be a more serious systemic problem?
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
the same thing happens to me and I found out that it was a rash caused  by lupus I still don't know what to use to get rid of it
Helpful - 0
any updates of what you doctor said? i seem to have the same problem on my face as well and i am goin to the doctors office next week
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Sorry, I can do no more than guess.  Could be eczema, hives, or something like that.  Your doctor should be able to tell by examining you, or perhaps doing a test or two.  Meantime, please don't rub or touch the area of the rash, since that will confuse the issue.  That's the most I can say from a distance....

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions