Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Itch under skin- cannot be relieved by scratching

Hi,
I hope you can offer some help. I get an itch on the same spot on the outer portion of my upper thigh (only on one leg and a few inches below my hip) very randomly. It has occurred since my early teens-(I am 36 female)- When it happens I get a major itch-almost like a twinge- i scratch/squeeze it/pinch it with no relief it then goes away for a few moments and then comes back a few times each episode- then it may not reoccur for months/years. There are no visible signs on my skin- no rash, no bumps...when it happened last night I put regular body creme on it but that did not help. It lasted for 5-10 minutes. Any thoughts? Thanks for any suggestions you can give me!
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I have been getting an itching sensation under my skin on my whole body after I take a bath or a shower lately and I have been putting lotion on and it still itches.  I find that I put lotion on the areas that itch over and over to try to relieve the itch.  Previously, I have scrached the areas that itched so hard that it has caused sores that I have to put hydrogen peroxide and neosporin on the sores to relieve the pain.  I now try not to scratch it and just put lotion on the areas that itch.  I need to try a thicker body creme but I see that the regular body creme that you used still did not help.  Last night I spent about an hour putting lotion on my body and the areas that itched, and it still itched when I went to bed.  I was able to go to sleep and it was better in the morning.  It is good to know that you have the same thing as me, and it is good to know what it probably is and that it is a non- serious condition.  I have suspected that it was some type of nerve condition.  Thanks for helping me!
Helpful - 1
A related discussion, Itchy under my skin was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, itch under skin on arms was started.
Helpful - 0
I have had a itch under the skin of my upper left arm .... off and on for the past year or more.  No amount of scratching helps. In fact the more I scratch the worse it gets. It reminds me of the type of itch athlets foot feels like. The tingeling gets so bad... thank god it subsides within a few minuets as long as I stop the scatch, pinch, rubbing. Crazy but I now have the same thing happening in my right arm. Same place and everything. I started thinking I may have nerve damage. But I have no idea how that would have happened. Can anyone shed some light on this for me. I know I could and should go to the Dr. but $$ is a issue right now. No insurance either. Thank you for any comments
Helpful - 0
The the past couple years, I have developed at itch well underneath my skin just in certain areas.  I may not have it for months, then, I may have it in two places at one time.  Sometimes it lasts a couple of days, or maybe just one day.  This past Thursday I awoke with the end joint of my forefinger on my right hand itching.  There was absolutely no outside appearance.  The itch was very deep and scratching did nothing to relieve the itch.  It lasted all day and the next morning, it was gone.  It is always in the end joint of my forefinger on the right hand, or the palm of my left hand, and sometimes in the back ball of my feet.  My family doctor has no idea what it is.  There is never a rash, just a deep itch that nothing helps.  I tried putting my finger under a hot stream of water in the sink thinking heat might help.  It did not.  The next time I plan to use an ice pack to see if it helps in case it is a nerve that maybe could be numbed with temperature.
I have a slight history of anxiety and panic attacks and I am on Wellbutrin XL.  I do not know if any medication is causing the itch.  Does anyone have an explanation?
Helpful - 0
I have the itch on my arms...previously just from the elbows to the wrists...now from upper arms all the way down arms including back of hands. Dermatologist tells me it may be caused by problem in the neck area and the nerves"fire up".
I have prescription cream and lotion, but this only helps somewhat. The itching is INTENSE...you cannot ignore it..after scratching, a rash appears.  I have it 2-3 times a month and it usually lasts 3-4 days each time. How can a topical medication relieve something caused by a nerve? Any suggestions?
Helpful - 0
Thank you very much! I researching what you thought it was and that is exactly it! I appreciate knowing what it is after all these years! Great website- very helpful and well worth the donation $$.
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
My best guess is that this is meralgia paresthetica.  This impressive-sounding name refers to a non-serious condition in which a nerve in the region you describe produces mild tingling and similar sensations.  I advise you to see a dermatologist or neurologist to see whether my hunch is correct.  If it is, you're best off ignoring the sensations.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions