Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Skin rash or infection

About two weeks ago I noticed a pimple under the pubic hair in the middle of my groin, about an inch above the penis. There was no cause for alarm or anything because pimples occasionally appear on obscure places from time to time (back, arms, etc). I had sex around the same time but I'm not really sure if the pimple was there before or after (again, a pimple wouldn't usually cause me any worry). The skin wasn't broken or anything, just a little red bump. It didn't hurt or itch or anything for about a week. It then began to itch a little bit one day and I remember scratching it (I would like to stress "a little bit"). I noticed later on that it opened up and looked a little bloody. I assumed that the scratching caused it to open but I'm not sure. Maybe the itching was caused by the pimple openning up by itself. Anyway, I figured since it was an open cut that I would put a little hydrogen peroxide on it to help start the scabbing process. This was about 8 days after I first noticed the pimple.
At this point I still didn't think anything of it. I was thinking that I had a little pimple that I scratched too much and it opened up. But the next day (after the peroxide) I noticed some redness a few centimeters below the original pimple which was already turning into a scab. This redness turned into about 4 or 5 pimples that slowly turned into either white heads or blisters. Those then opened up and also turned into scabs as well (at this point I was paying close attention to the area). And then I noticed some more redness and then same thing happened. It's pattern; pimple, open sore, scab. This is all going on in about a 1/2 inch radius. There is rarely any itching. There was some one time that lasted a few minutes and I gave in and rubbed it a little bit. I also would like to note that the first pimple was the biggest and the second "outbreak" of 4 or 5 pimples was the most. The pimples get smaller and scab up quicker. The first pimple was the largest and took over a week to break and turn into a scab. The last pimple appeared and scabbed up in a little over a day and wasn't very big at all. I only noticed it because I am watching the area very closely.

I'm not sure what it is. At first I was thinking herpes but it's not around that mucous type of skin and to this date some bumps actually appeared two weeks after the original. Then I was thinking scabies but the bumps aren't really consistent with burrowing because they are not necessarily in a line. They kind of jump around a bit.... and like I said, it rarely itches if at all.
Do you have any insight as to what it could be? Should I wait another week so see if it goes away? I would greatly appreciate any information you can provide for me. Thanks!
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
OK this is goin to be a little personal but....I had had sex like 5 times in 3 days and the 4th day jerked off like 5 or 6 times.  I noticed that the skin right below the head of my penis what getting dry and flaky but i kept on jerking off.  Then with in an hour the skin broke open it was bleeding but was red and sore. that was a week or so ago and i've been keeping an eye on it and it doesn't seem to be getting any better at all it keeps trying to scab but then breaks open if i get a hard on i think it might but herpes and i'm freakin out my girlfriend would kill me and i havne't been doin anything with her because i don't want her to see it please help me....
Helpful - 0
Please help as I do not know which direction to take next. I have always had very good skin although somewhat dry and sensitive but never anything long lasting and my beauty regime is fairly regular. About 3 months ago I got a rash along the jaw line of my face that starts as little red spots (which are still there although not bumpy and they never came to a head. I used my normal tea tree oil to try and get rid of them and at certain times they were slightly itchy. They would then turn into dry patches and in heat or cold surroundings they would change to red blotches. I was exfoliating to reduce the dry patches but this was making the blotches worse. I went to have a facial in December as it has started to spread up my cheeks and to the other side again along the jaw and the therapist said it could be an allergic reaction or stress and just leave it alone of everything which I did for a month. I then stopped smoking in January (having done so on many occassions and my skin condition never changed). I then went to see Dermalogica in February who gave me some intense moisturisers, a barrier cream against the elements and a very gentle exfoliator. I have been using this for a month every day and it has got worse it has now spread up my cheeks and it had been going to the other side of my jaw and face anyway. I am getting a few spots now on my neck high up close to the jawline. It is not down to perfume or jewellry as it does not flair up at times when i wear them and seems to have no specific pattern. I have researched the net and it is not serious enough or sounds like any disease or medical condition to see a doctor. But I have tried the beauty therapist route and they dont really know what it is and having tried their treatments it has only got worse. I lost my father in September but do not think it can be stress as its took 3 months to come out and my stress levels havent changed that much. Sometimes it tingles and burns and sometimes the spots are itchy.  My diet is good with fresh fruit and veg and I drink enough water so it is not related to that, I also exercise regularly. It looks unsightly and flairs up for no apparent reason but i do not know what to try next. I dont think it can be an allergy as I have always used different produts for everything anyway, washing and cleaning and not even the same ones in the last 4 months. I THINK I need someone in-between a beauty therapist and a dermatologist as it is past the beauty/cosmetic stage but not a serious medical condition either. It is getting me down now as i cannot cover it properly and it is getting worse not better. Please help. It is only on my face (jawline and cheeks) and nowhere else.
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
In general, I'd day that your condition sounds more like bacterial folliculitis, not herpes or STD.  I'd stick with my original recommendation--leave the bumps alone and get seen.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0
With bacterial folliculitis does a hair come directly through the bump or sore or can it be just off to the side? I'm not sure if this is what I have because none of my sores have any hair right in the middle.
And with herpes when they say that it has a duration of 7-10 days does that mean that sores AND scabs are gone in that time frame? And also, is it at all possible for new sores to show up more than a week after the original sore appeared and already scabbed over as is the case in my situation? Is there any other skin condition or STD that acts as I explained above?

Thank you!
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Sorry, but it's hard to tell from your description.  Could be bacterial folliculitis.  Herpes may be a possibility, I guess, but the duration seems too long.  In general, things don't turn into open sores or scabs unless they're traumatized.  I advise you to leave the spots absolutely alone and show them to someone for examination, perhaps culture, and relevant treatment.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions