Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Herpes or not

Doc,

Around two weeks ago after having unprotected sex with my girl I noticed a small pimple looking thing at the base of my penis in the hair. After a day maybe 2 it was gone. We didnt have sex again until last weekend. She performed oral sex. This week it occured again looking something like a poison ivy rash, although I have no other rash. It started with a midnight itch in the same spot. It is clustered and crusty. I have no pain there at all just the minor irritaion when it touches clothing. There are no ulcers present. also I have no other herpes symptoms such as fever or pinful urination. I had a culture taken today from the area by a nurse at the E-room. She thought I had a 50/50 chance of having Herpes because the rash looked like the picture of herpes in teh derm book. But then again it looks like a ton of other rashes. I am confused
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
The test should clarify matters--it's good that you had it done right away, because that makes the test more reliable.  From your description, I think the nurse is right to suspect herpes, but not to be sure.

If it is herpes, you most likely did not catch it from your recent sexual contact, because first-attack herpes produces fever, swollen glands, etc.  Most people don't get that kind of severe first attack--just a cold-sore type of thing that means they were exposed at some time in the past.  

Anyhow, the test takes up to a week before they call it negative, so your situation should be a lot clearer in a few days.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0
Still waiting on the results.  Kind of curious as to what else it might be?? Because now I have a nice little rash developing on the chest and abs. The rash on the base of the penis is actually on the the space connecting the abs to the penis. I though the blisters would appear where the penis came in contact with the shedding area???
Helpful - 0
Just wanted to say don't panic and don't attack your girlfriend. It is possible to be virtually asymptomatic for years after being infected with herpes. It took me yrs to be diagnosed with genital herpes because my outbreaks are so infrequent ( I have gone as long as 3 yrs with none. I have had only 3 outbreaks that actually resulted in a vesicle in 19 yrs. My outbreaks are usually a small red bump that may or may not itch for a few days. That was why I took so long to get confirmation, I had to insist that Dr culture it even though he insisted it was only irritation from riding my horse bareback. If you do have it, it's not the end of the world, you or your girlfriend are not dirty or someone was cheating, yadayadayada. I read somewhere that something like 33%(that's 1 in 3) of the world population has some form of herpes and that many don't even know it. Hope this helps!
Helpful - 0
Did you ever get your results?b
Helpful - 0
No too soon. I have read that the doc can usually tell on sight though.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions