Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Can you please help me figure out my rash?

Thanks for your help. I have spent dozens of hours reading about skin disorders, since I have no insurance and cannot afford a dermatologist, and would really appreciate a serious suggestion for what I may have.  Hopefully, it can be cured.

About 25 years ago I developed a rash on my upper thighs during pregnancy.  Afterward, the rash remained, and occasionally itched.  Ten years later it spread to the rest of my legs, as well as to the soles of my feet, underarms, abdomen, and ear lobes (much like Flegel's disease).  I have tried myriad creams, my daughter (medical doctor) has prescribed cortisone creams; altered diets do not seem to have an effect; I regularly use organic detergents, hypoallergenic creams; nothing seems to help. The only thing that seems to affect it at all is when I feel happy, relaxed, and safe, a rare combination.  During these times, the rash will fade, but never goes away completely.  Before it spreads, my skin feels prickly, and if I itch it, my skin will welt up. I am generally miserable, and always embarrassed to be seen in public.  

Appearance:  The rash ranges in size from a small dot to a patch about the size of a coin and covers the entire lower half of my body, back and front.  It is very dense on my thighs; less dense on my abdomen, torso, lower legs, feet.  It looks like Swimmer's Itch, behaves like Schambergs Disease, has spread like Flegel's disease, but it never goes away.  Sometimes it fades, but never completely.  The patchy areas are slightly raised and are a deeper reddish/pink. The "new" dots usually appear just below the skin before manifesting itself topically.  My skin is generally healthy; it just looks awful.

Medical background:  I have had a kidney operation, one C-section, 11 pregnancies (9 live births), a major heart attack; am somewhat overweight, though I have large bones and do not appear excessive; take medication for high blood pressure (5 years now); and am now menopausal. No one in my family has ever had any sort of unusual skin disorder.  I also have slight rosacia on my face and use a cream to control that.  My blood type is 0 neg, and I am blonde and fair-skinned.  I do not tan, but immediately burn, so I always use a sunscreen. Generally, I feel pretty good, and consume mostly veggies/fruits/grains; no dairy products.

Any help you can give me at all, including some key words to increase my search, would be extremely helpful.  I will be happy to send a picture of the rash, if you wish.  Please help me if you can.  Thanks very much for the site, and for your response.  I really appreciate it.

8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Have you though about simply "yeast" -- I have it on my face and it happened after I finished using antibiotics...yeast is also what causes thrush and diaper rash and other skin disorders.  When you have an "overgrowth" it eventually affects your skin.  It feeds on sugar, so maybe your diet needs some adjustment.  I'm doing that down and using two creams which have helped tremendously and using probiotics to re-establish the good bacteria so it can fight off the excessive yeast.  It seems to help my lactose intolerance too.
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I don't know what your rash is.  I am sure that your internet searching is not helping: you mention a number of exotic diagnoses--I've never seen Flegel's Disease--that it could not possibly be.  (In no way can what you describe "act like Schamberg's Disease.")

Therefore, if you want even a chance to find out what this is, you need to see a doctor in person.  Is it really true that you can't afford a dermatologist.  In 25 years have you never made a discretionary purchase of $100?

It's hard to imagine that this is anything serious, since you've had it for 25 years and still "feel pretty good."

Since the rash fluctuates, I advise you to take good-quality photos before you consult anyone in person.

Good luck.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0
97615 tn?1212678589
Well, the only reason I mention is because my niece is only 7 and she has it all over her precious little arms.  Hers is aggravated by cold weather or direct sunlight (psoriasis that is) and its tiny bumps that look like prickly heat and when she scratches them she welts up and it seems to spread.  My nephew who is 15 has it as well and his is more spotty.  Bigger blotches and in random places.  My sister (their mom) has it as well and only on her feet but it covers them completely w/ a rash.  They are all in the same house and are very careful w/ detergents and soaps and such.  The only thing they have found helpful are soaks in epsom salt and then they use apricot oil.  By no means am i suggesting this is what you have or what you should do, I am only sharing my story w/ you.  I hope your suffering will find an end.  Best wishes.
Helpful - 0
Thanks again for your suggestions re the mast cell disease.  Think this is a good possibility.  

At least your sister's family does not have a permanent condition.  They may wish to switch to Melaleuca products, which are all natural.  Some items, like EcoSense, you can purchase in the store.  I threw out the synthetic rugs, pillows, everything, years ago.  My husband had psoriasis for years, but he finally figured out he was aggravating it because of the way he crossed his legs when he sat.  It finally went away. My rash, on the other hand, has marred my body for years.  It is sad to think I once had beautiful skin and likely will never have it again.

Best wishes to you as well.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for your comments.  Mast cell disease is certainly something I never looked into, but may be a good candidate.  Cursory research indicates it is genetic in its disorder, yet I seem to be the only one I know in my family who has this problem.  It also seems to affect babies, but I was 26 when I had my first onset.  Heart palpitations certainly ring a bell, but not hypotension--mine has always been hypertension.  Still, it might be worth checking out. I have noticed that extreme weather changes affect the intensity, and antihistamines help.  The coloration is also wrong.  Mine looks more like it does in a baby (very reddish), but, then again, I am extremely fair skinned, or what is left of my skin is still fair.  Thanks.
Helpful - 0
97615 tn?1212678589
i am not a dr, just someone reading this post but I get a rash and its nothing like yours but I was reading another forum "undiagnosed symptoms" and someone posted under my issue and it sounds more relative to yours so I thought I would pass along the "key" words for your search.  Uticaria Pigmentosa was something someone suggested and Systemic Mastocytosis.  I dont know if these pertain to you but its a start.  good luck and i hope someone else can help you.
Helpful - 0
97615 tn?1212678589
I know this may sound simplex, but is it any resemblance to psoriasis?
Helpful - 0
Did you receive the last post?

No, it does not resemble psoriasis.  Marks are individual in size and color, some large, some are like pin pricks.  Older ones are more reddish and slightly raised.  Only itches when irritated, or when ready to spread.  The skin tissue itself is supple, strong, moist.  Never use soaps or perfumed creams.  Thinks psoriasis is more like a big red blotch, isn't it?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions