Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Rash/Bumps/Itchiness around the Groin

I have these bumps around my groin area.  Most pronounced where the thigh meets the groin.  Some above the groin (in the pubic hair area), and some between the scrotum and the anus.   They're red bumps and sometimes they itch, sometimes they don't. Doing a little research online on it, I can't find anything that identifies it exactly, but the closest I seem to find is that it's probably a yeast fungal infection.  I'm kinda worried that it's something else though since I don't have diabetes, I'm not overweight, and it's been cold recently.  My other immediate worry was an STD but since I hadn't had sex for quite sometime before this occurred so I'm doubtful it's an STD.  

Anyways, someone I know had a fungal infection on his back so I borrowed his "vaginal" cream (Miconazole Nitrate Vaginal Creamm USP 2%) and have been using it, but it's only been two days so the problem is still here (and I think that's to be expected).  My original idea was to continue a week with this plan of using the vaginal cream 2x a day and also using Gold Bond (since apparently most yeast infections clear up after 7 days with this treatment) and if it didn't clear up by then, then I'd see a doctor.  But as minor itching woke up me tonight and I didn't want to scratch it to irritate it more, I'm wanting some peace of mind.

Here's two pictures of the skin of the affected area:
http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/8776/bumps17yi.jpg
http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/6808/bumps21ek.jpg

Before this I've had problems with very dry skin on my scrotum for quite some time.  It was really bad for a while where it would feel kinda hard and peel/flake off all the time.  This isn't exactly a great picture, but: http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/4224/dryskin7cd.jpg.  I tracked down my body wash as a cause and I figured very hot showers didn't help any either.  So I've taken to putting a lot of lotion on my groin area after a shower.  But I've stopped with the lotion since I've gotten this other rash but my scrotum (and lower shaft now) are starting to get very dry and flakey.

So I guess my questions are:
* What are those red bumps?  Are they a fungal infection?
* Am I doing the right thing right now?  If not, what should I do?
* What might be causing the dry skin/flaking of my scrotum?
* How can I help prevent the dry skin/flaking of my scrotum?  I'm kinda worried that perhaps the lotion thing is what's helping cause the problem.
* Is this infectious?  I'm kinda worried that (1) I'll touch the area, then touch something else and then someone else can catch it and (2) I might touch the area and spread it to other parts of my body.
11 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
No, I'm not heavy set.  In fact, I'm guessing I got it from the gym locker room.

Well, I think it was just that day when I was out all day in jeans that aggravated it.  Basically the area probably started to sweat and it was like that for hours so whatever fungus it was (if it is fungus) probably started to fester, hence the brownish color and the smell.

Today, it looks like it's settled down a lot since yesterday.  I noticed that it does look different now than it did originally.  When I first asked the question, it looked a lot like the angry painful pimples when they first start.  Now they've "flattened" out into flat, round, slightly raised areas mostly.  I'm hoping that's a sign that it's improving.  I'm assuming that it'll continue to flatten out until it's gone.  But yesterday it looked like it did now except really inflamed.

I'm still really worried about how "contagious" or resilient it is.  Like whether or not it'll come back since my towel might have some fungal spores on it.  Or say I didn't apply the antifungal medicine to one tiny area and it all heals up except that one area... Can that grow into a full blown thing again?  Do I have to be super careful in covering EVERY possibly affected area?

Thanks so much for all the responses, I really appreciate it.
Helpful - 0
Ughie, sorry to hear your rash keeps recurring. At times rashes in the groin can be a little complicated. Are you a heavy set person? Sweating and the constant rubbing of adjacent skin surfaces could cause intertrigo. This is actually maceration of the skin with superimposed yeast and perhaps even bacterial infection. Keep area dry. Often adding hydrocortisone to the antifungal helps but if bacteria is present antibiotics-topical or oral may be needed. Your dermatologist needs to advise you on this. In stubborn cases of intertrigo the old treatment using quarter strength Castellani's paint does wonders(though it can be quite messy). But I wonder if the pharmacist can provide you any.
Helpful - 0
Just as an update...

yesterday around noon, it started to look like it really started to fade.  so i was like "wow, it really is going to be gone in 2 weeks of treatment!

but i was out almost all day.  around 8pm, my groin area started to itch pretty badly.  i got home around midnight and took a shower.  but i noticed that the area started to smell a bit from a slight brown discharge (the area felt slightly damp, like i was sweating but when i wiped it with a tissue it was bit brownish).  also the area seemed to have gotten worse.

so basically treatment seemed to have made it better slowly... and then suddenly yesterday it went from 70% cured back to 0% cured.  sigh.
Helpful - 0
I don't know if it's what I have and I'm not even sure what I have (everyone seems to give me an offhand answer, which I assume it means it's most likely some kind of fungal thing).  But it sounds really similar...  You probably saw the pictures and they're where the thigh meets the groin.  In the pubic hair area, I have a few too, and below the scrotum.  I also have a few bumps around the anus.  They itch pretty bad sometimes, but most of the time, I don't even realize they're there.

But the responses here seem to indicate that it appears to be non serious and fungal since no other options were given... and the doctor when I went in to get it checked, gave it a quick look over and just said "ok, continue using the cream for 2 weeks total and if it's still not gone, come back."

So from the way the responses from both here and the doctor went, I'm assuming the bumps I have aren't indictive of anything more serious (though of course it could be something completely different, just highly unlikely).

I've been using Lotrimin AF which is a Clotrimazole 1% cream for almost a week now.  I can't quite tell if it's working or not but the doctor says it takes about 2 weeks of treatment.  I *THINK* it's fading.  If it is though, it's really gradual.  I'm hoping by the Thursday after tomorrow it'll be gone.
Helpful - 0
Ok i've had this rash on the inner thighs and upper and lower stomach around my underwear line and into the pubic hair region for a while now, i just thought it would go away.  It's little red bumps and they itch especially when working out or anytime when it feels like i'm sweating or hot.  I have been reading all the other stories and i was wondering if it was a fungus or a yeast problems.  I have been taking Elcomcr/menthol 1/4% compound and it hasn't been working so i am wondering what to do or what you think it is.
Helpful - 0
I went to the doctor and basically she said she thought it was a fungal infection too...

Told me to continue using the anti fungal medicine for 2 weeks before coming back.  Thanks for the info.

I'm planning on using the Lotrimin AF cream in the morning and before bed and using the Lotrimin Powder in the evening.  They're different medicines though (Cloritozine and Minocozine) but hopefully that's ok.
Helpful - 0
Both belong to the 'azole' group of antifungals. About equally effective against true fungi and yeasts. Use either one not necessarily both. You can dunk your bottom in it, no danger of toxicity :) Can't think of any 'dangerous' disease presenting this way except that immunocompromised people are prone to yeast infections but I thought you were healthy otherwise. Oral antifungals if the problem is recurrent and someone dermatologist has confirmed it for you.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the advice Doc and arbindo.  

A few more questions related to this if you guys don't mind.

Do you suggest I use the miconazole (the "vaginal" one) or the clotrimazole?  I just bought some clotrimazole (Lotrim AF) so I'm wondering which would be the best to use.  Or should I use the miconazole in the morning and the clotrimazole before I go to bed?  Will there be a problem using both (not at the same time)?  And is there any danger in using them (either one) more than 2x a day?

Are those bumps/pauples indictive of anything else?  Ie that might need to be checked immediately or that might be contagious?  I'm thinking of scheduling an appointment in a week or two.  I know just by the pictures and descriptions it's hard to diagnose but I'm just curious about what the different possibilities of what I have are and whether or not I need to be very concerned.
Helpful - 0
I think you should stop assaulting your scrotum and what else with all sorts of stuff. You could be having an irritant dermatitis of the scrotum from all these washes etc and your scratching may not be helping. Use a little mild soap like DOVE but do not wash frequently. Moisturise with a fragrance free moisturizer like cetaphil cream. The lesions on the groin appear to be papules- candidiasis(yeast) is a certain possibility but confirmation needs microscopy. A true fungus is unlikely as this is more diffuse and has a definite margin most of the time. For all you know your scrotum could have been harbouring the yeast.Surprisingly true fungal infections rarely infect the scrotum but yeast does. Miconazole and clotrimazole creams should be effective but I am not sure about the vaginal version on the scrotum. Could have a different pH, and the vehicle I am not sure. Try one of the regular versions for 1-2 weeks before you decide it is not helping.
Helpful - 0
Ugh, ok, so the rash/bumps pretty much rarely itch.  Usually as long as I don't think about it, I won't notice the rash.  Maybe it'll get kinda itchy once or twice during the day.

The exception seems to be when I start to sleep. Yesterday night I woke up to it itching pretty badly at like 2am and 4am which is why I decided to ask the question.  Tonight I went to bed at like 11:45, I woke up one hour later to it itching so here I am.  It's still itching something pretty fierce (and like I said, for nearly all of the day it wasn't too noticeable).
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Funguses cause rashes, not bumps.  Yeats can cause bumps, but the skin is usually redder than yours appears to be.  I suggest that you continue the anti-yeast/fungus cream you're using, since it can't hurt.  Your scrotum rash is probably either irritation or eczema.

Yeast infections in men are generally not contagious.  You can't spread it to other parts of the body by touching.

You'll need to see a doctor in person to figure this one out.  

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions