Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Dry skin on penis

I have developed a condition in which the skin on the head of my penis drys, crackes, and flakes off revealing new skin underneath. then the process begins once again. I also noticed a small red area the size of a nickle on one side. I've used vasaline and neosporem which keeps the process in check, but when I stop using it, the dryness returns. I saw a dermatologist who tested the skin and said it tested as a fungus. Although I used the cream he prescribed, maybe I didn't use it digitantly enough and then lost the tube. Could this be a STD (I am not promiscuous) and could it be a concern to my new partner? Thanks.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, What do i do was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, have a dry spot on the pennis was started.
Helpful - 0
Hi,

I have developed on one side of the upper shaft of the penis a scaling and cracking which is dry.  It's about the size of a penny.  When I shower it seems to go away, but then it returns after a few hours with the same symptoms.  The spot is only a bit red and itches only a bit.

Thanks for your help.
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I doubt it very much.  Funguses and yeasts on the penis are not caught sexually most of the time.  They aren't related to herpes in any way.  I suggest you call the dermatologist to ask for another tube to be called in to your drugstore.  If the condition keeps returning, you may want the dermatologist to take a second look, because you might just have some residual irritation long after the fungus has been eradicated.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions