Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Red splotch on penis with other symptoms

Iam
I have a reoccuring problem that is begining to worry/bother me. For the last 6 months I have 2 reocurring conditions that could be either related or unrelated, but occur simultaneously. They occur in the presence of mild dehydration, stress, lowered immune function and or using a new or strong toothpaste. I have researched hsv-2 and if it is herpes, the symptoms are not typical, I am not ruling this out. Usually in the presence of masturbation, the skin on my glans penis become dry and manifests a red splotch in the same spot. Other than being a red, mostly dry smooth splotch, there are no other characteristics such as blisters or weeping ect. I have hsv-1(cold sores) and it does not resemble those at all. This wouldnt be much of a problem, except masturbation causes the dry skin to rip, leaving a ripped/injured area. almost simultaniously, my lips swell and the midline of my upper lip cracks, my gums are tender and I develop canker sores(Dry lips preceed this condition as well, hence the thoughts on hydration status). While these occur rather simultaniously, one can preceed the other, but surely the other is present. The oral conditions present in any order.The symptoms last only a week or two while the penile damage can linger if exacerbated.I also wear Invisalign aligners on my teeth which could contribute to the oral problems, but this occured prior to the invisalign as well and comes in conjunction with the dermatalogical problems of the penis. After it goes away it returns in 2-3 months in times of dehydration, stress, and lowered immune function. Whether these are dependant or independant or the others, I dont know. If it is serious, I will go see a DR. although I do not have a primary, and dont want to go. Although there is no substitute for proper inspection and treatment, please put some thought into it and i would gratly appreciate it if it wasnt dismissed with " dont worry about, see a dr to be sure, dont pay so much attention to your penis, etc". Any Thoughts?
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
You may be right. However, psoriasis doesn't mean lowered immunity.  Over-the-counter hydrocortisone may be worth a try for a short period.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
There is nothing in your description which sounds anything like herpes.  I cannot think of any connection between your penis symptoms--which are certainly irritation, aggravated by masturbation--and the oral symptoms.  Canker sores within the mouth are not a sign of herpes.  Their cause is not known, but if they are caused by a virus, it isn't herpes.

For the penis, I recommend lubrication and avoidance of friction.  For the mouth, you will need to see a doctor in person.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0
Iam
After doing my research, i am almost sure it is psoriasis of the penis. The pics I have seen look exactly the same. I dont think the two symptoms are necessarily related as in a disorder, but share the common soil of lowered immune function. Should I get a steroidal cream. Can something be bought OTC?
Helpful - 0
Iam
I also usually feel kinda sick too. disorientation, operating at a fraction of potential...the feeling you get before a flu when you know something isnt right, but you dont know what. These are the things that cause me to think it might be viral.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions