Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Any ideas?

Had unprotected intercourse on March 25th.

- Tested/seen by GP 3 days later, blood and swab for usual stds all negative.

- 5 days after exposure, developed some redness on the head of my penis, some pain/burning on head and in urethra on urination. Went to see second GP at a clinic 9 days post exposure as symptom persisted. Dr. in clinic swabbed/cultured for HSV & other stds inside urethra and another round of blood tests for typical stds., no lesions but persistant redeness and pain/burning. Put me on meds = single dose 2g of liquid antibiotic
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Your symptoms were not those pf herpes.  That, plus the negative tests, argue against herpes.

Redness can persist for months after irritation.  Pain can be anything from prostatitis to anxiety.

Acyclovir would not suppress the development of antibodies.

If you continue to worry, repeat the herpes select in 2 months.  When you find out ti's still negatibve, then forget about it and avoid unprotected exposres.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 1
Thanks
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Not really.  Just keep it moist and ignore it as much as you can.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0
Thanks, I have tried putting some vaseline on it, makes if feel a little better, but it almsost seems more "inflamed," kinda like poison ivy, at night. Any thoughts on how to make it feel better?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions