Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

SHINGLES TWICE IN THE SAME SPOT

Last year I was diagnosed with shingles localized above my left eye.  I took the anit-viral meds and it cleared up.  It has flared up again in the exact same location.   The shingles are still in the rasied red skin/unbroken blister phase and itch moderately.  The docs have started me on a regimen of acyclovir. 

I was told that you could not get shingles in the same place twice?  Is there any chance this could be something else?
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, Bumbs on inner thighs and shingles was started.
Helpful - 0
Just to let you know last year last June I had shingles. Its june again and I got the shingles again in the same place they started burning over and over the rash had not come right away but I went ahead and went to the doc they gave me valtrex. I'm on it now.

Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Yes, I think there's a good chance neither outbreak was shingles.  It may be herpes simplex (the cold sore type) rather than herpes zoster (shingles.)  I suggest a viral culture next time this happens, but before acyclovir is prescribed.  If it is a cold sore, you can consider suppressing it with regular use of acyclovir if you get frequent recurrences.  Discuss this with your doctor or a consultant.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions