Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Seborrheic Dermatitis, Please Help

Hello,

About 2 weeks ago I noticed a strange rash on my cheek that looked sort of like a cut/gash.  I then noticed the same sort of rash on my beard area (chin) and it was flaking.  The next day I had a rash in my eyebrow area that was flaky and red.  After looking for hours on the web, I self diagnosed seborrheic dermatitis.

I bought some cortizone and started using that but it didn't seem to do anything.  I tried washing my face with dandruff shampoo but that irritated my skin and didn't seem to help my rash.  

2 days ago the rash got much worse so I went to see my local dermatologist.  After looking at my face for a minute he said I indeed have seborrheic dermatitis.  He prescribed Desoximetasone Cream USP, 0.25%.  I believe this is a potent cortsteroid cream.

The cream seemed to help the first night but yesterday 2 new rashes appeared.  Again today another 2 small rashes appeared.  The new rashes are near my left eye and upper cheak area (not in my immediate hairline).  My skin is sometimes itchy and stings when I wash it.

Questions:
Is there anything I can be doing to help my skin condition?  How do I prevent more rashes from appearing.  Is it dangerous to keep using the cortsteroid cream?  Should I consult another doctor?  Would it help if I shaved?

Thank you so much.  I hate my rash!
11 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Sorry Eisben for answering kinda late but I hope this helps. Well I put 2 drops of oj jojoba oil and 2 drops of tea tree oil and mix together on the palm of my hand ,I put both on my face feels tingly at first because of the tea tree oil. But youll get use to it. You can use the tea tree oil directly if you want or mix it if its too strong for you just test it on you skin first if you like. Eisben let me know how its goin Im eager to know if its helping someone else. Im still clear as of this day. I use jojoba oil and tea tree oil everyday and it works for me so if you want you can use it too everyday but dont quote me on that and make sure you wash your face with the oil of olay foam wash for sensitive skin before applying the tea tree oil and jojoba oil just to make sure you face is not dirty. Anyways sorry again about responding so late. Good luck.
Helpful - 2
Since 10 years or so, I hv been suffering from itching and red rashes on areas of skin folds: groin, armpits, elbow insides, fold of the buttocks. Last year it was diagnosed as Seborrhoid Dermatitis (I hope I got the spelling right). I have been told that there is no permanent cure for this. In times of acute distress, here is what works for me: 1. Do not take hot water bath. Ensure that it is lukewarm. 2. Do not spend too much time while taking the shower. 3. Apply rose water mixed with glycerine over affected areas (5 drops of glycerine to 50 ml of rose water), after the bath. Pat dry - no rigourous scrub. 4. Apply Mometasone Furoate cream mixed with Squlene
+ Aloe Vera based cream - initially plain, gradually reducing its percentage and more of the Aloe Vera based cream. The former is the medicine and the latter is the moisturizer keeping the skin supple. Hope this works for you too.
What really hurts me is the prognosis that there is no permanent cure for this. I wish there was something ........
Helpful - 0
I'v used tea tree oil on a cotton swab dapped with water then a dab of tea tree oil and patted my face it is cleaing up
Helpful - 0
Let me see if I got this right.
After cleaning your face, you put a couple of drops of jojoba oil on your skin.
When and how do you use the tea tree oil...After the jojoba oil, many hours later?
Do you put it undiluted on your skin, or do you mix it with somthing?
Was your Seborrheic dematitis itchy, and was it all over your face.
Sorry for so many questions, hope you see this post.

Ina
Helpful - 0
I think i might have written to much so some of my wording doesnt look right sorry :).
Helpful - 0
rops of tea tree oil and mix together and apply to the affected area( you can I suffered with seboorrheic dermatitis for years. I used cortizones products that worked but eventually my skin was imune to them and itstead of helping made my rash a red. My skin was very oily and somewhat dry on some parts and anything I put on it irritated it. I tried everything and disappointed kept looking for and answer. I know  they say theres no cure for this condition but I dont know about that. I am currently using tea tree oil along with jojoba oil  and man has it worked. I have clear skin for the very first time in my life and my face does not feel tight at all. Keep in mind  i had this for years so Im convinced jojoba oil and tea tree oil are a miracle. I tried coconut and other oils but instead of helping they made my rash more red and i think its because they cloged my pores. Jojoba is better than a mouisturizer and you only need to and a little bit to your skin and your skin will abosorve it. Jojoba oil is close to your own skin oil. I highly recommend this to everyone with this condition. This is what I use and it works for me. Since I cant put soap on my face I use oil of olay sensitive skin foam wash , towel dry , it  wont irritate, then  after that add a 2 drops of jojoba oil to your palm and also put 2 daplly the jojoba oil all over your skin if you want its just like adding a mouisturizer), the tea tree oil might feel sting but dont worry wont irritate your skin it actually smells good and feels minty refreshing do the same before you go to sleep and be patient for at least 3 days for  it to work after that youll notice you skin wont feel tight and the redness will be gone keep using it the jojoba oil everyday if you want and i suggest to keep using the trea tree oil for atleast 30 days. Hope  this helps someone and one more thing stop taking your cortizone cream!!! ..
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Don't worry in advance.  Wait and see how you do.  I'm sure she can adjust the treatment if necessary.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0
Yes, I know that is good news.  But I am worried she gave me the wrong diagnosis.  My symptoms are rashes that peal...I haven't had one blister type rash...

What are your thoughts?  If I dont see it get better tomorrow should I get a 3rd opinion?

Thanks
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Impetigo can be cured altogether.  That's good news.  \

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0
My condition has been getting worse so I went to another dermatologist today for a second opinion.  She diagnosed me with Impetigo.

I looked up the symptoms of Impetigo (sores, blisters, etc.) and told her I haven't had any of that, just flaking, redness, itching, burning, etc...

She said I defenitely have Impetigo...

I am taking antibiotics and a cream.  What do you think?
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Most if not all of what you have sounds like seborrhea.  Desoximetasone 0.25% is a bit strong for facial use.  I suggest you ask your doctor for a milder version, which should work fine.  By "work" I mean that it should make the rash go away.  There is no way to prevent it from coming.  You will find that it often takes time off and doesn't bother you as much.

Your doctor would be the one to tell you whether the new spots you talk about are just more seborrhea (likely) or something else.

Nest.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions