Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Strange Rash

I am having all sorts of skin issues lately.  I have always had clear skin.  I am 31 and have recently been breaking out when I have never done so before.  I am not sure why.  I have this one small rash in particular on my cheek (the rest of the breakouts seem to be alongside my ears).  The one on my cheek is not bright red but feels very bumpy.  Up close it looks like small raised bumps, close together and greasy looking.  It almost looks like herpes that have not come to a head.  Here is the strange part, there is a very thin red line forming a circle around the area.  It is not a perfectly round circle, more oval.  You can only see this line when I stretch out my cheek to look at the rash by putting my thumb inside my mouth to push the area out for a better view. When I saw the circle, I decided it was time to look for advice.

Also, I have recently been getting some sort of rash around my top lip and my sister has too.  It is strange, like it might be herpes but there are no real bumps.  It feels a little bumpy, it doesn't get red, you can only feel it.  The rest of the lips area feels super scratchy, like there are small paper cuts all over my lips.  There is no pain, it just feels like sandpaper!  So strange.  I never had oral herpes before......and I have not kissed anyone new!  But then again....I never kissed my sister like that either.

What is going on with my skin?
9 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I have had a spot on my left cheek that will open up into a sore like spot.  It gets red and swollen.  I have been experiencing this for about a year and a half.  I went to 11 different doctors, was put on every medicine known to man, given shots, had 4 biopsies, been cut on and everything.  All of these tests turned up NOTHING.  Finally I found a dermatologist that tried Duo Derm patches.  I wore this at night and sure enough, the spot cleared up within a month.  It has been gone for about 6 months and suddenly re-appeared 2 days ago.  Does anyone have any ideas that 11 doctors may have missed?
Helpful - 0
isnt someone gonna help me?! :(
Helpful - 0
Also the reason why I didn't see anyone about it before was because this friend, well ex-friend he's kind of a pervert so I don't like him, anyway, he had the same thing. its about 1cm long in each direction. It's not so much as annoying as... really ugly :( it's harming my charming face! lol. Well could you please help me out here? Also I was just joking about the whole..-I'm very random :D Anyway I'll check back soon. Thanks doctor. :)
Helpful - 0
Hey I have a rash on each side of my nose. It gets red when you rub it, or if it gets wet. I've had it for about a year, and It's sort of the same thing below the right and left side of my lower lip. I'm 12 so it may be puberty but I have no idea.
Helpful - 0
My sister had the same thing on her face and body and for three years in differrnet times it would clear up and then come back. She went to many doctors and the last doctor did an skin sample and said it was a fungus and was associated with ring worm. He perscribed her a pill to take 2 xs a day for a month and it went away. He said it was in her blood stream. I don't know if I was any help but you vcan tell your doctor. The rash was like hives kinda and it iched too.It was on her face and in her ears.
Helpful - 0
I think you and your family may have some type of bactria infection going on, which can be passed on from person to person.

See you docotr soon and have a complete blood work done searching for bactria and have some cultures done.  If you doctor tells you oh we don't need to do that sdemand it!  Not to put docotrs down but they get to cocky and god like.

Get a culture done!
Helpful - 0
I may have figured out the issue, or at least maybe the rash on my face issue, not the lips.  Last night I woke up with something tickling my face.  I reached up and found a spider on my cheek.  Could be a coincidence, could be that this little guy has been chowing down on my face every evening, no clue.
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
That is possible.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I'm afraid I can't tell from your description exactly what you have.  I do feel confident, however, that what you have sounds nothing like herpes.  I advise you not to scratch or examine it too closely so as not to confuse the issue, and to show it to a dermatologist who will surely be able to tell you what it is and what to do about it.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions