Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Eczema of the Lips and Face

Tue. 11th I experienced a very intense sensation in my lips. I have never felt this before. It was a wave of intense stinging/prickly pain and warmth in my lips. Somewhat like pins and needles but with a warm sensation. It was more prevalent on the vermillion border, and less prevalent on the actual lips themselves, but still felt on both area's nonetheless.

It felt like the early onset of a cold sore or eczema/irritation, but I cant remember the last time I've had one, or if I've ever had one (cold sore).

I do have a history of eczema, and I am sexually active, so I am not sure what to attribute to this phenomena.

Today is Sun. July 16th and I am still experiencing this but it isnt as bad as on tuesday. I don't have medical insurance, but I am thinking about consulting a health provider out of pocket for consultation, perhaps even your office Dr. R.

I do not have any large to medium sized open sores to speak of, if anything just minor irritation spots. My hypothesis is either a reaction to my shaving cream, which can be irritating at times, but I have never had a reaction from my lips to my shaving cream, or irritation of my lips from some other outside irritant. I also think it could be an STD since I am sexually active and I do engage in oral sex with my current girlfriend, who hasnt been tested in a long time (but has only had limited partners).  

I plan to schedule an STD screen to be sure. From reading your past questions, I have started using hydrocortisone cream with some relief, but I still get the waves of intense heat and stinging prickly pain, just not as frequently or as intense.

I know you're going to say go see a doctor, but I would appreciate a OTC and or natural remedy solutions as well as your medical diagnosis from what I provided above.

So to sum it up, I am a 23 year old male with a history of eczema however never on the lips or face, at least not in the past 5 years or more. My eczema used to be concentrated on my elbows and forearms in early childhood, now its concentrated to my hands and sometimes the backs of my legs.

The Shaving cream in question is Colgate (Sensitive Skin). It contains the following: water, stearic acid, triethanolamine, isobutane, laureth-23, glycerin, isopropryl palmitate, proplane, sodium lauryl sulfate, fragrance, peg-14m, conditioner, and lubriacnt. I have never had a reaction to this cream on my lips, but I have found it to be irritating at times, but only slightly irritating.

I'm thinking about switching to soft natural soaps, such as those offered at skinbiology.com. Which are ph neutral. Using their liquid soap as a shaving cream.

Thank you for providing your service.

-SkinQuestion
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, Redness along outer edge of lips. was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, severe skin issue. was started.
Helpful - 0
I was hoping you could tell me as to why, out of the blue, my lips would feel this way, when I have never experienced this before in my life. Which is why I personally couldn't decide what it would be. I still have some stinging, but the vaseline is helping, what would your best guess be as to what I have? Simply dry skin, irritation or eczema?

SkinQuestion

Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Don't know.  Maybe you're more concerned about an orally-transmitted STD than before.  If there's another reason, I can't think of one.  Maybe a doctor in person can suggest another.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Tingling of the lips is not the sign of an STD.  It may be the sign of fear of an STD.

Although people often speak of allergies to toothpaste and mouthwash as causes of lip irritation, in my experience, this is rarely the case.  

My recommendation is that you use nothing on your lip but vaseline, and that you stop thinking about herpes and STD's, because it's most unlikely that you have them.

If the symptoms still persist despite these measures, then you'll have to see a doctor in person.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions