Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Upper Butt Itching

Dr. Thanks in advance for the help!

4 weeks ago I had 20-30 seconds of unprotected sex with unknown woman (never was erect so stoped and never orgasmed), 5 minutes of unprotected oral. (first encounter out of marriage in 12 years, wife was a virgin and is very faithful)
I got screened for STDs and was given antibiotocs (levo and Z pack) just in case. (test came back negative). Dr. also gave me 10 days of Valtrex just in case and I started taking them 7 days post exposure)
In the STD forum 6 days after incident, Dr. HHH explained my tingleing was in my head. No problem, I moved on (I did not want to post this new info in light of his 2 post per 6 months rule) and this sounds more of a skin issue.
Last Thursday,(22 days post possible exposure) I had extreme itching in the very top of my butt crack, where the spine stops(sorry do not know the medical term). I scratched it very hard and it has been itching since that day and today. I never thought about it, but tonight looked in the mirror and noticed there is some slight redness in a couple of spots where it itches, but no lesions that indicate a skin break or bleading. Additionally there is dry skin that is around the entire area (white and I can flake it off). I do not know if blisters formed first here last week before I scratched it, but I do know there are no scabs or anything right now, just the redness in a few spots. No other spots or anything on any other part of penis or genitals this past 4 weeks.
Questions:
1) I have read, even by Dr HHH, that initial herpes outbreaks typically come up at the site of infection, most of the time on the penis in men. Have you ever seen an initial infection be in my location? (she never touched or kissed that area)
2) If this was initial herpes, would it be rare to have this type of itching, and flaking skin, in this spot 6 to 7 days after finishing such a high dose of Valtrex?
3) Does this even sound like herpes at all?
4) I think I have had this type of itching before in this spot, but never took notice. Does this sound like any other skin issues that I can do something to stop the itching, so I won't scratch it and make red marks?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I have the same synptoms.Did you guys find anything that works???Diflucan?
Helpful - 0
Dr. I see you are answering some questions this morning. Is there any chance, even though I know you are not committed to replying more than once, you can answer the question above about the additional information on the red spot that is IN the skin, more like lesion than before?
thanks,
Helpful - 0
SORRY!!! LAST ONE and then I am finished, I promise!
Was looking 1 last time at the itching spot and noticed that I have 1 red spot that is quite raw and is actually tender to the touch and is open a little. No bleeding or scabbing, but certainly a single round spot that is red. It is still itchy (1 week). Does this change your opinion at all?
Helpful - 0
Thank you Dr! This is a MASSIVE relief! I now can move on and simply treat the area as a simple skin infection. I was sure I had herpes once I saw the peeling and redness! Since this was my first and only exposure outside of marriage, and it being so short, would you tell any of your patients in my situation to have a HSV blood test?

Thanks again for your invaluable service. I look forward to moving on with my life now that the scare is over!
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
1) I have read, even by Dr HHH, that initial herpes outbreaks typically come up at the site of infection, most of the time on the penis in men. Have you ever seen an initial infection be in my location? (she never touched or kissed that area)
Yes, but what you describe sounds nothing like herpes.
2) If this was initial herpes, would it be rare to have this type of itching, and flaking skin, in this spot 6 to 7 days after finishing such a high dose of Valtrex?
Yes, it would be rare to have this type of itching caused by herpes.  It isn't rare at all to have itching there just from irritation or anxiety.
3) Does this even sound like herpes at all?
No.
4) I think I have had this type of itching before in this spot, but never took notice. Does this sound like any other skin issues that I can do something to stop the itching, so I won't scratch it and make red marks?
I'd go to the drugstore and buy some lotion containing camphor, menthol, or pramoxine, and apply it every time you feel like scratching.  Ask the druggist for brand name recommendations.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions