Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Rash around ears

I have a skin rash on my ears and neck. The problem first appeared nearly a year ago, and has reappeared every 2-3 months.

The rash begins on the lobes of my ears, becomes itchy, and proceeds to spread all over my ears. The day after it continues onto the neck area behind the ears. The first time was the worst with the rash spreading onto my face. The second time it remained concentrated in and around the ears. In both cases the rash cleared in about a week leaving no scars. There was no pain or discomfort besides itchiness. No flu/fever. The skin just becomes inflamed/red, somewhat scaly with miniscule bumps (not noticeably raised, no pus). This started after I had moved to a new apartment. Otherwise, no lifestyle changes or anything new.

I'm having this outbreak right now, and this time I noticed a similar rash on the top shaft of my penis. The skin appears lightly red over a small area and slightly itchy. Now I'm worried it might be herpes. However, I've honestly never had sexual contact (intercourse or oral) nor kissed a person on the lips so I'm not certain how I'd contract it.

Can anyone help or offer possibilities?

3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
You'll need to see a doctor in person to diagnose this.  It most certainly is not herpes.  Rather than worry about, get it checked out.  If it's there now, get a good photo in case it's gone when you get your appointment.  It may be a form of urticaria, or hives.  Usually, these are not allergic and come and go as they please.  But to be sure, you'll need an appointment with a live skin doctor.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0
Look up Psorisis.
Helpful - 0
Also, currently the rash is just on the ears and neck behind the ears, and seems less severe then the previous two cases.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions