Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

skin welts

Doctor,

I have been getting itchy welts on my knees, stomache and thighs for over a year.  I have seen 2 dermatologists for this.
They don't seem to know what it is.  The first small welt looked like a mosquito bite on the back of my thigh. it itched severely.  After itching for a couple days a rash appeared nearby. Over the course of a year a couple small itchy bumps appeared on the inside of my knees. Now I have some on my thighs and stomache. The bumps all look different.  Sometimes the lumps appear more under the skin on my thighs.
they swell slightly and itch. Then the swelling under the skin subsides and comes back.  The couple of areas on my waist do the same thing. They swell up itch in the same place they were before.  Only occasionally do I get a new itchy welt.  They itch daily mostly in the afternoon and evening.  I have used so many -itch cremes that don't help.  I am seeing an allergist right now. He found I have mold,dust and cat allergies. My house is only 2 years old and mold free.  The allergist doesn't know what these itchy bumps are as well.  I have had blood tests an ekg. All is fine except my sugar was slightly high.  Do you have any idea what I may have?
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, SKIN WELTS.... was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, itchy skin was started.
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Antihistamines often don;t help that much in chronic hives.  Often several different ones, or combinations, need to be tried.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0
My derma. did a biopsy of a welt on my ankle .  The report said it was an old piniculitis. My other welts don't have a hard little cyst in them. I have an area on my thigh that feels a little swollen under the skin, and if I as much as touch it, it starts to itch. last night i was trying to sleep and I started itching all over. I woke with just one new welt. I also have stomache trouble which i have told my doctor, he dimisses it as nothing but maybe diverticulitis. If I have nausea and a dull pain in my left side , could I get a rash from some kind of stomache trouble?   I had my Gallbladder removed last march
because of gallstones. I thought the dull ache and nausea would go away after it was removed.  I guess it has nothing to do with it. If i have chronic Hives, why don't anthistimines work?
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I don't know what to add. Perhaps your dermatologists would consider performing a skin biopsy.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0
my doctors i have seen say what I have is not hives.  The welts last longer than 2 days in some instances. One of my welts has reacted for a year in the same spot.  It itches daily.
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Sounds like hives.  They itch, look, and behave this way.  In almost all cases, no cause is found.  The best approach is to try to suppress them with antihistamines.  When hives last a year, they're referred to as chronic, and may go on for quite some time.

That's my long-distance guess.  You need to check it out with your in-person doctors.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions