Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Rash in groin area

I wonder if you could please put my mind at rest.  Since June my husband has had a very itchy rash that started as a small patch under his pubic hair.  This has since got worse and has spread to the area at the top of his leg.  It is extremely red, itchy and angry looking.  It is raised and is driving him mad.  I thought it could perhaps be either Jock Itch as he does a lot of running or a patch of eczema, but he has tried Hydrocortisone cream and aqueous cream, but that doesn't appear to have helped, but to be honest as he is a man he isn't very good at taking medications unless told so by a doctor!  He has also tried an antifungal cream, but that hasn't helped either.  The rash sometimes looks a bit better, but then he says as soon as the air gets to it it starts itching like mad so much so he feels he can't stop scratching it.  It doesn't seem to affect him when he is at work only when he is at home.  Can you advise please?
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thank you Dr.

Best wishes.
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
It's probably eczema, though fungus is a possibility.  Neither is serious, and each can be treated easily.  However, he has to see a doctor for proper diagnosis and effective treatment.  So please ask him not to worry, but to use moisturizing cream to soothe the skin, avoid friction, scratch as little as possible and see a skin doctor as soon as he can.  Should take one visit.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions