Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Rash for a month and a half in vaginal area

About a month and a half ago I started getting an itching sensation in my vaginal area which followed with redness and an abrasion from scratching, and some swelling. The redness would sometimes go away, but once scratched again would come back. I was fearing it was some kind of STD. The itching would mostly occur at night and while I was sleeping. I could not control the itching at night and I would scratch in my sleep. I went to see a NP and she said it my very well be a yeast infection on the outside of my vagina. So she gave me vaginal cream to use for one week. I used it for one week and now the itching at night has stopped but there are now red blotches in that area now that I can feel a little pain (not much, just irritation) when I wipe after using the restroom. Otherwise it isn't very bothersome. The NP told me if the vaginal cream didn't work to try 1% hydrocortize cream for 3-4 weeks. That this would reduce the swelling and redness. Also, I go to the gym on a daily basis and am also wondering if sweating is bad for this rash. The NP said to go to the gym just don't sit around in my gym clothes all night.
Should I try to cortizone cream even though the itching has stopped?
Does this sound like it could be an STD?
Because I wouldn't think it would last so long. It is getting really annoying now, just knowing that there is something wrong down there. I just wanted to get a little more advice.
Thank you.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
You can use the hydrocortisone even if there's just some redness or swelling--it's not too strong.  It does not sound anything like an STD.  I suspect that you're scratching at least in part because you're worried about it, but it doesn't sound to me as though you have anything to worry about.  Just keep the area moisturized, avoid scratching, and consult your Nurse Practitioner or doctor again if it doesn't go away.  There are other creams they can prescribe.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0
I'm not the doctor but hopefully this can help. Does sound like it was a yeast infection.Some yeast infection medicines though can be irratating in themselves though. You were also scratching it alot before and the medicine on top of that probably just made it extra sensitive.
I think you will find once you have finished the medicne that the irratation will stop.
Although your doctor said to go to the gym,I would avoid it at least until the infection is gone.Tight sweaty clothing cannot be helping it at all.All that sweating is probably what helped give you a yeast infection to start with.Not that you should stop exersicing. Try to wear loose-fitting cotton clothes when working out.Same with underwear.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions