Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Bumps around the mouth...

I recently noticed 2 sets of 2 red bumps (maybe a little bigger than tiny) under my lower lip, on each side of my mouth and one set of 3 on my top lip.  I can't recall if they appeared white at first, but the turned out red.

The 3 on the upper lip went away on their own.  The ones on the lower lip are still there.  Not raised anymore, but theres a bit of a mark where they were.  One of them broke open and had some kind of liquid inside, then it scabbed over and kind of went away.

Now I have a new one right on the corner of my mouth.  It broke open and has fluid inside.  They don't hurt, unless you pester them.

Are these some kind of cold sores or what, doc?  Some weird STD?  Pimples??

Thanks!
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I have the same problem that you describe chimama.  I believe it is known as Perioral Dermatitis.  Check out the following site for pictures and cures: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001455.htm
Helpful - 0
I reccommend Lysine, (amino acid found in the nutritional suppliments aisle)keep some around (and use at first sign)
and they will go away as quickly as they came... if they are Herpes I
Helpful - 0
I have had this same problem for about 4 months. These bumps appear as  small blisters and are filled with a clear liquid. Mine are concentrated on the right side of my mouth, from my nose down to the middle of my chin. The left side is totally unaffected. They come and go and will appear in twos or threes suddenly. I had several appear while I was out to dinner last night - within two hours. I originally thought it was from using the telephone on that side of my face at work and have switched to the other side with no results.

Any ideas???? I'm desperate. By the way, I am 48. Too old for this stuff!!!!
Helpful - 0
I agree, "everyone has had a cold sore in their life." Good to check the Internet... Did it heal in seven to ten days?

"Some kind of liquid" this makes it hard to understand ... Any colour? Clear?

Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
They're spread along too much of the mouth to make cold sores likely.  I'm not sure what they are, but I suggest you don't pester them.  If they're still there in a week, or if the recur, show them, unpestered, to a doctor.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0
It kind of sounds like a primary outbreak of cold sores (herpes virus 1.)  It is not an std.  Most people contract cold sores as young kids.  Adults can get it through kissing and what not.  I may be wrong, but if I'm right,nothing to worry about! Over half the population has gotten a cold sore at least once in their life.
Helpful - 0
sounds to me like they could be pimples. cold sores are bigger than what it sounds like you have. also; i'm pretty sure they can't "pop".
be patient and they'll probably just go away.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions