Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Hives or other?

Dr. Rockoff;

I recently went to a clinic in Tokyo for a rash on my chest; the Doctor there diagnosed it as hives due to stress and prescribed me Allegra and a steroidal ointment. However, I think this may have been a wrong diagnosis, partially owing to my trouble communicating in Japanese.

Specifically, I had been to the same doctor about a month ago when I came down with a virus which had me down with a fever for a while and (when that went away) subsequent hives. So when I came to him more recently, I think he assumed it was the same problem, hives.

The bumps I have now are red and itchy, and don't fade away within hours/overnight/within days as I expect hives to do. They stay in the same location, but occasionally another bump will break out in a new location. The steroidal ointment does seem to deal with the irritation around them, however.

Here's a picture after using the steroidal ointment: http://www.denile.net/skin/skin1.jpg

To add to the confusion, two of my previous sexual partners informed me, separately, that I may have been exposed to molluscum contagiosum (this would have been about two years ago, and I never had any bumps or genital irritation subsequently - my previous partner's molluscum broke out genitally) and HPV (with my last boyfriend, who since our breakup has had an HPV breakout around his anus).

My rash isn't genital; it's on my chest, but I don't know what's relevant so I'll leave it to you - the doctor. I've had itchiness in this area before, but never anything this widespread or to this degree.

Should I be worried, and/or seek out a new diagnosis?

Thanks.
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
these look exactly what i had - which were scabies.
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
No, not hives, and they don't look like staph.  But not an STD.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Those are follicular pimples.  They are probably adult acne.  That would come and go, but not as fast as hives.  They certainly aren't molluscum or herpes.  My best advice is to wash daily with a mild soap, not mess with them, and forget about them.

If you have any lingering doubts, you can ask again.  But Japanese doctors should be able to recognize just by looking, this even if you can't articulate your concerns all that well.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0
Dr. Rockoff;

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,
overintokyo
Helpful - 0
Oh, and I forgot to mention...

I have had problems with hives, as well as a staph infection in the past. A veritable rash of skin problems, hah. This doesn't seem like either from my experience, though.

-overintokyo
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions