Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Seborrhea Dermatitis

We have 2 skin conditions in ur family.
First, my daughter has suborrhea dermatitis (6 yr. old) and Nizoral and 2.5% hydrocortizone do not seem to be helping after 5 weeks.  We wash her hair approx. 5 days/week.  Any other suggestions?  So far no results back from a fungal culture (they say it takes 6-8 wks. for results)  Should we try a different shampoo?  The red scaly areas are on her cheeks and scalp. I am affraid the hydrocortizone will not work anymore and thin her skin.

Second, I believe I have telogen effluvium as a result of taking migrain preventative medications for 4 months.  I have lost 1/3 of all my hair and it continues to fall out. I have discontinued the meds. As a 35 year old female it is very concerning.  Just want to know if this is truly a temporary condition.  I have not had my thyroid checked and wonder if it should be.  Also, are there any vitamins that help.  Zinc, biotin, selenium?  I have just purchased Nioxin shampoo.  

Any input on these 2 matters would be appreciated.

AliW
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, seborreha keratosis in children was started.
Helpful - 0
I have had trouble with my scalp since i was a little girl, i am now mid 20's.  I have gone to so many doctors I have never been prescribed anything that seems to work.  my whole scalp is completely dry, itches and flakes so bad.  I actually have chunks of dry skin on my scalp.  It covers around my ears too...like a covering forms on them and behind my ears.  It was in my eyebrows when I was younger but that went away.  I also have dry circle patches under my arms..on my side and back.  I would love to find something to cure this discomfort and dryness of my skin.  I tried that nizoral...it seemed to work temporarily.  I am using a new shampoo now but my scalp is only getting worse.
Helpful - 0
97676 tn?1340405373
Hairloss-reversible is a great site to reference to issues relating to the scalp and hairloss.
Helpful - 0
97676 tn?1340405373
I had a similar problem a few years back.  I suffer from eczema and skin problems. Im not sure if the product is recommended for children that young, my derm prescribed me Beta-Val lotion (its a liquid form) for my scalp and it seemed to do the trick.  Out of all the treatments I had, the Beta-Val lotion worked the best.
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I assume that your daughter's problem is on her scalp.  There are stronger anti-seborrhea preparations, but if fungus is still a live possibility, you ought to wait till the culture is back, because if it's positive then obviously the treatment would be different.

Telogen effluvium generally slows down after 4-6 months, after which the hair grows back.  So I think you're OK.  You'll need to check with your dermatologist, however, to be sure that no other diagnoses are worth considering, but based on the little information you've given me, telogen effluvium--which can be quite dramatic and scary in the short term--does seem most likely, and that is reversible over the next 6-8 months.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions