Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

strange itching and rash

A few days ago my face started itching, mainly my forehead, behind the ears around my mouth and chin, etc.  There wasn't much of a rash, just itching.  Then it moved to my genitals where there was some redness, but no bumps or anything that I could see.  It just itched.  Now I've noticed what might be small little blisters the edges of my lips and when I pucker my lips there's some wetness or oozing, perhaps.  My scalp at the back of my head itches all the way down to the sides of my neck.  My earlobes are a little red and swollen, but aside from that there really isn't any physical sign of rash aside from the itching.

I recently had protected intercourse, but unprotected oral sex with a girlfriend and I'm hoping this isn't herpes.  She certainly wasn't showing any symptoms.  I've never seen herpes blisters before, so I can't tell if that's what they are.  There's defintiely a "tightness" the whole way around the outside of my lips.  Does herpes ever have an itchy rash accompany it on other parts of the body?  This all pretty much appeared at the same time.  Maybe 4 days after the encounter.

I've also been working in a woodshop, around a lot of dust and have been using a wood oil to finish some of the pieces.  I haven't been wearing gloves and noticed last night that it has skin irritant warnings for aliphatic hydrocarbons.  So I wonder if maybe this could be some sort of chemical reaction to that oil.

I can't get in to see a doctor till Monday and this is weighing heavily on my mind.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
The other day i was fishing with my friends. My friend and i swam out to a dock to jump off into the water. It's ocean water. When i got back to shore about 3 hours later i felt an itch on on the back side of my leg below my knee. Then i looked at it and it was very red and was a little swollen. Now it itches really bad. I don't know what it is or how it got there. Can you help me out? How can i get rid of it?
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Not herpes.  Just worry about herpes.  Once you find out that you don't have herpes and can stop  thinking about it, I predict that all the itching, tightness, wetness when you pucker, and so forth, will all disappear.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions