Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Small non-itchy bumps, randomly located on body

For the last month I've been getting small bumps singly in random parts of my body. They are not particularly itchy. They can vary from a small mosquito bite size or smaller and barely raised, and usually only red once I scratch lightly. I've also noticed what I think are petechiae. I know those can have a serious association but I'm inclined to think they are merely an allergic reaction because they have not multiplied since I first noticed them and appear to be going away (only a few spots). I have no other symptoms though. Early on I believed the bumps were bugs bites--no swelling or discernible center, usually single but sometimes in loose groups, definitely not in typical rash formation. I'd send a picture but I don't even have one large enough to photograph well right now. We've been experiencing an outbreak of bed bug infestations on the East coast and I immediately was paranoid about this possibility, but finding no evidence anywhere in my apartment (and I researched the subject very well so I know what I'm looking for), I relaxed. However, now it's been a month and the "bites" have increased in number though generally seem to be smaller than in the beginning. I've had them everywhere though none on my abdomen and rarely on my back. The "bites" are so small and well-distributed that I have trouble knowing when I get them. Because of my hyper-sensitivity to the idea of bed bugs, it didn't occur to me until recently that there might be a medical reason for the bumps. I even had one just inside my lower lip (which really grosses me out if it was indeed a bug bite) but more typically on my arms, neck, forehead, and ankles, knees, a couple on my inner thighs. I laid out a pyrethrin based pesticide surrounding my bed two days ago but still have yet to see even one dead bug and I've isolated my bed, there's no other way for them to get to me unless they drop from the ceiling. I think I would have to see it the next morning there's no way off my bed without dying. I have two cats. They don't have fleas and I just applied Frontline to them in case it is a bug infestation. I consider that the bumps could be an allergic reaction or a skin condition. I do experience the creepy crawly feeling associated with delusory parasitosis but I think it's just a stress reaction from my preoccupation with the bed bug possibility. That sensation seems to have lessened in the last couple days though, perhaps allayed because my anxiety has lessened with the measures I've taken. Is there any medical explanation for the bumps that might come to mind? I'm going to see a dermatologist but was hoping to get some expert advice while I'm waiting for my appointment. The bed bug idea is truly traumatizing and huge stressor. I can take care of the situation if it comes to that but I feel so powerless right now because I don't know what I'm dealing with. Thank you for any help you might be able to give. Sincerely, Lynn
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I have similar bumps, I have them on my arms and legs, but not so much on my back, but on my sides and lower stomach, some are closer together and kind of in a line others may be 8 inches apart. If anyone has any ideas please feel free to email me @ ***@****
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, RE: BUMP ON SKIN, was started.
Helpful - 0
Thank you for your help. It is calming for me to hear that there is basis for a medical explanation. I won't rule out the bed bugs completely just because at their different growth stages I think the size of the bites varies, as well as an individual's sensitivity to them. Anyway, I don't regret my response to this possibility because if it is bed bugs, I can't lose any time in dealing with them or I'd have a massive infestation in no time. But hopefully, you are right and it's a minor skin condition. Thank you so much.
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
They certainly are not bedbug bites--they sound far too small, they never affect the inside of the mouth, and so on.  The creepy-crawly sensations you're feeling are more than likely from fear of bugs.

As to the tiny spots themselves, I can't say.  They sound more superficial, like folliculitis, rather than systemic.  I can't even think of something they could be that's serious.  So my advice is to leave them alone so the dermatologist will see them in their pristine state, and then see what is found.  Not much, I'd wager.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions