Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Why do i have chronic Seborrea

I have had seborrea in my scalp for 4 years it first started at back of my head and stared iching in one place then a year later it spread all over my scalp in different locations now i get it in my chest hair, mustache side burns and the inside of my ears! It seems to be getting worse every year! Does this sound like HIV related Seborrea? My dermitoligist said it was probably inherited any sugestions? I also have high liver enzymes and chronic muscle weakness so severe i can't lift my arms over my head without them feeling weak or hold a phone to my ear for long periods of time!
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I went through the same worries and will post a reply to perhaps help others like us who search the archived posts.  A little background first.  I had noticed warts on the backs (not palms) of both hands.  I freaked out and was convinced I had MC or worse.  Turned out to be ordinary warts and they were frozen off.  Naturally after noticing them, I inventoried everything I could find on my skin.  Bright red spots on my arms, legs and torso.  Cherry angiomas -- very common and also harmless.  Also a seborrheic keratosis on my leg.  Sounds scary but is benign and very common.  The dermatologist noted all of them and a couple more things.  I showed him that I was losing a little hair and eyebrows.  I suspected hypothyroid from my web searching and family history.  He immediately dismissed it as seborrheic dermatitis.

Well, I researched that on the web and I was perfectly consistent with it.  Often occurs in the winter months, is associated with middle-aged men (I am in my mid 40s) and also is exacerbated by stress.  (A doctor said he noticed he had it in med school and found outbreaks to be a good barometer for his personal stress level.)  The worrying about everything was making it worse and worse.  I also read about its association with HIV and that put me over the edge.  But it is generally not a primary infection symptom but one that turns up years later when the immune system is in decline.  Since I took a recent HIV test then, I knew I wasn't infected years ago.

This is an extremely common condition.  I realized I must have had it prctically forever, as I have had that itching crawling sclp sensation that I always mistook for allergies for a long time.  It can be managed.  It isn't contagious.  There are a lot worse things out there that sebborhea.  Best to just relax and try some coal tar shampoo (and associated conditioner) or similar remedies, as directed, to reduce the problem.  It affects something like 5% of the population, so we are in good company.  Best of luck to both of us and others afflicted who read this.
Helpful - 1
A related discussion, Scalp condition was started.
Helpful - 0
In my observation most cases of Psoriasis start with Dandruff and or Seborrhoea. The causes are many as per Holistic science. Some of the ways to control this condition are as follows:

Factors that help Psoriasis to invade / grow:

1. Since more than 80% of Psoriatics suffer from dandruff, presence of dandruff could be the early sign of Psoriasis or even triggers Psoriasis.
2. Habit of taking frozen foods and tinned foods.
3. use of lemon in any type of food and drink
4. non-vegetarian food of any kind
5. abnormal food habits (vipareeta Aahara and visha Aahara)
6. abnormal food timings
7. phlegm in lungs
8. controlling natural urges
9. incomplete evacuation of stools
10. less consumption of water
11. bad timings of sleep
12. unhygienic surroundings
13. too much stress and strain of mind and or body
14. hyperacidity / hypoacidity increases Psoriasis
15. indigestion / incomplete evacuation of stools increases Psoriasis
16. hurry, worry, curry are risk contributing factors
17. even partial kidney / liver dysfunction increases psoriasis
18. sudden stoppage of steroids
19. prolonged usage of steroids, NSAIDS
20. even little extent of smoking, pan, ghutka, alcohol could aggravate
21. Excessive / any use of fan, air conditioners which hinders the normal sweating process. Normal sweating is considered as semi-dialysis.
22. generally psoriatics don
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Seborrhea is a common and trivial condition.  It's a shame that so many websites and other popular medical sources give people the impression that if they have it they should worry about HIV.  The condition even occurs in infants (as cradle cap.)  It does not progress over life, but may fluctuate.  Treatment is simple (shampoos, topical steroid lotions), and needs to be applied as needed.

Having said that, I have no idea why you have abnormal liver enzymes and muscle weakness.  Surely you've asked your physician about this.  If you haven't, you should do so at once.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions