Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Persistent Itch in groin area

I've had a persistent itch running along the base of my penis/testicles, down towards just before my anus, between my thigh and groin area for some time now. Its always been contained on the right side, in that particular area - never spreading to anywhere else. There has been no real surface changes (discolouring and/or scaring, etc) other than the occasional dry, flaking of skin, which has been rare at that (and the odd breaking of skin when I've scratched too hard). I've used over the counter itch creams (both fungal and hydrocortisone based) as well as being treated with prescription versions from my doctor (whom seemed to at least conclude it wasn't fungal in origin). All the creams have succeeded in lessening the itch or eliminating it during application - however, very soon, if not immediately after I stop using whatever cream, the itch comes right back. Normally I can get through a day without it bothering me too much - however I usually end up craving a scratching fit (which I try to resist) at least once or twice a day. I've tried everything else from trying to keep the area dry as possible to keeping the area moisturized - nothing seems to work. My doctor doesn't seem to have much else to suggest, in regards to cause and I've run out of ideas myself. Is there anything else I'm missing? Anything else I can do?
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
hey jamie01, I think I might have the same condition as you.  I'm still trying to find a solution also.  If you e-mail me at ***@****, maybe we can help eachother out if one of us finds something that works
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
This sounds like eczema, which often affects the areas you describe and acts just as you say.  Gentle cleansing, moisturizing, and the judicious use of mild cortisone creams are the best way to handle it.  The condition can be suppressed, not cured, though it may go away for periods of time and flare at others.  Not fungus is involved.  Consultation with a skin doctor would be advisable.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions