Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Rash on penis

Good morning Dr. Rockoff! Well I went to a dermatologist this morning. He looked at my penis (all over). He said he did not know what it was but that it didn't look bad. He said to stop using Mycolog II cream (which I have been using for 3 weeks at a tid dosage). I had put Lidocaine 2.5% in with it (I am a compounding pharmacist) and adding the Lidocaine took away any pain. But he told me stop everything!! (which I agreed to do). He said to keep an "eye" on it and to call him if the rash got worse. Obviously if it gets better then that's that. He said he would do some "scrapings" under topical anesthesia if it got worse. He said I should be able to tell something within one week either way. He diagnosed it as a "generalized dermatitis" He said it could be candida but not sure. He said it might be psoriasis. He said having the purplish-red area in the glans he was not familiar with. Have you, Dr. Rockoff, seen any purplish-red area on the glans penis yourself in your practice. It is slightly sore as of right now and I am tempted to put some Mycolog II/Lidocaine on it but I will obey what the dermatologist said.
Richard DeGarmo
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thanks Dr. You are the best. I wrote the dermatologist today and asked him how long he wants me to go (if the rash doesn't get better) before I see him again. I'll let you know what he says when I hear from him.
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Yes, some people have different shades of redness on the glans.  My advice is to use no active medications of any kind.  Even mild steroids can make redness persist.  If it's a candida infection, steroids will make it worse.  But from your description, I don't think it's either yeast or psoriasis.  It's probably just residual redness from prior irritation.  In that case, the less done the better.  If things worsen, your doctor will be able to tall and change course.  But redness can take months to fade, and its persistence doesn't mean anything.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions