Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Rash and Swelling on Penis when touched

Great Service

March 17: diagnosed with mollus*** (genital) infection. Use (generic) retin-A. Causes AWFUL reaction, including a fissure on the head of my penis and some lacerations in (what's left of) my foreskin. (I have had a circumcision.) treat with zinc oxide.

May switch to some (iodine based) mollus*** medication i found online. Causes awful reaction on my penis. Nurse practitioner says put zinc oxide on it.

May 15: penis is red and irritated. The texture is like a powdery latex glove. Then the powdery feeling goes away and the skin swells every time it is rubbed. The swelling is generally flesh colored (or a light pink). Some times swelling occurs a minute after the contact. (If it helps, I have swollen lymph-nodes in the left groin.)

May 21: Doctor gives me antibiotics (doxcycline), as he thinks I may have folliculitis and other secondary infections (i have a rash on my stomach as well); dermatologist gives me desonide lotion, as she thinks its eczema.

May 25: Penis feels MUCH better, but any time it is rubbed the skin turns light red and then it swells in the spot it was touched.

Any clues? (I know this is hard when you can't see it.)

I am going to the doctor on Tuesday to have the molluscum removed, is there anything I should have the doctor look into?

Thanks
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
172023 tn?1334672284
I think the medhelp word sensor does that automatically sometimes.  
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I think you're all set.  Don't pay any attention to where the skin turns light red after it's touched--that's normal after an area has been irritated and treated in the ways you've had done.  If there are any mollusca left, the doctor can treat them Tuesday.  It's not unusual, by the way, for mollusca to get all swollen and to look red and infected just before they go away, even if they're not really infected.  In any case, that's all in the past.  From now on, I think the less you pay attention to it, the better off you'll be.

By the way, it's OK to write out the whole word, without the ***....

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0
If it helps; the swelling looks like a bee-sting/bug bite (except generally flesh-colored or light pink/red); and then it disappears after about 10 minutes

Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions