Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Itchy scalp, eyebrows and forehead, with raised red area on forehead

I'm suffering from itching on my forehead, eyebrows and scalp, varying from minor irritation to a unignorable situation through the day.  My forehead feels oily and raised red spots have appeared, particularly around the area between my eyebrows and upwards towards the scalp.  This is especially noticeable after washing, and the area above the bridge of my nose can appear raised and overly red.  I can also feel spots under the eyebrow hair and there is occasional flaking from the scalp.  Itchness and spots have also occasionally occurred on my upper left arm near the shoulder.
I suffer from hayfever during the summer.  In terms of washing, I've tried avoiding the forehead altogether to applying soap, face wash and/or moisturiser.  I've also tried medicated shampoo to no avail.
This situation seems to have persisted since I first had laser eye surgery in October, but was most pronounced in January when it spread to my forehead and the skin peeled.  At this point, I saw my GP about this who prescribed Fucidin H cream for a week.  The symptoms went away temporarily, appearing again a week after I stopped applying the cream.  Another visit led to some Diprobase moisturiser which didn't help.
I've been reluctant to return, instead combating the symptoms on a short term basis with the cream on a weekly basis.  I feel it may be related to the Blink eye drops I've been taking ever since surgery. Any help/advice would be much appreciated.
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Usually itching of the type you describe is aggravated if not induced by stress.  At times the stress is intensified by wondering what the itch is coming from, so the problem becomes a vicious cycle.  I can't think of any condition of much significance that would produce red spots like the ones you have.  If I were you, I'd apply some 1% hydrocortisone a couple of times a day to the affected areas, and otherwise leave everything alone and let nature take its course.  If it won't, then a visit to a kin doctor might be worthwhile.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 1
A related discussion, itchy forehead and sinus infection was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, Itchy eyes, scalp and eyelids with acne on forehead was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, could was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, Itchy eyebrows was started.
Helpful - 0
I have a similar case although I have never had any laser surgery. I have all the redness around my eyebrows and also on my nose and stretching out underneath my eyes. I used to have the itchy/flaking scalp as well but have effectively treated it and not seen it return since. I used Ketoconazole, Selinium sulfide, and Zinc shampoos dailyfor about a month and have not experienced any recurrence.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions