Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Diabetic seizure without being low?

My son is eleven and was diagnosed at one year of age.  SEveral times over the last five years he has experienced 'seizure like' symptoms but different than the ones discribed as a 'being low' seizure.  He doesn't have control over his arms and legs and cannot speak and it lasts for about five or so minutes.  The doctors just say that they don't know.  His A1C is 6.5 and he's on an insulin pump and his health is very good.  When I check his blood sugar during this it is never all that low.  This last time he was 85 and fifteen minutes later he was 109.  I don't know if he was lower and came up or not.  Has anyone heard of this or experienced anything like this?  I'm devistated and want to help him.  I don't know if it's even related to the diabetes?
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hello, I am wondering i fyou guys have had any resolutions with this issue as I am dealing with the exact same situation with my husband, who is now 25 years old diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 10. Non-low related grand-mal seizure activity with no answers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Helpful - 0
having similar problem with my nephew who is 16. has a seizure 1 to 2x a month. has been seen by neurologists at children's hospital in Columbus, oh. After numerous tests, they say there is nothing they can find that would be causing his seizures, therefore they are blaming it on his diabetes. However, his glucose levels are usually between 80-120 when he seizes! My family and I are at our wits end. We need some answers to help him but, so far no one has been able to help us. Please if you get an answer, post for us all so we can talk to our Dr.s!
Helpful - 0
Hello.  I'm not a medical professional, just the parent of a kid with diabetes.  My daughter will show symptoms of being low even if her score isn't low depending on how quickly she's dropping.  That being said, she's never had seizures anything close to that.  While it's possible he's dropping quickly and causing the seizures, from what you describe about his control, it doesn't sound likely.  My suggestion would be to continue to work with your doctors to try to identify the cause.  Good luck.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Diabetes - Type 1 Community

Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333892766
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.