Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

High fasting blood sugars

I've had diabetes 19 years and I'm 47 years old. I'm not overweight and I don't have any complications. I take Lantus at bedtime, Humulog with meals and/or snacks and Symlin before meals. My A1C is 8.1, up from 7.1 six months ago; 7.1 is the highest it has ever been. My fasting are rarely below 200 and I have trouble controlling my sugars during the day. I tried the pump about 3 years agod and hated it. Any suggestions?
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hello Nan0706,
We're all volunteers here and not medical professionals, so be sure to check in with your endocrinologist as you work to improve your control.

I've had type 1 for about 37 years and am 51.  I can't tell if you're female or male, but if you're female, you may be going thru some hormonal changes that affect your ability to control your blood sugar.  Depending on your activity levels, your metabolism may be slower now, too, than when you first started the routine that 'used to work' for you.

I'd recommend that you ask your endo to refer you to a certified diabetes educator (CDE), who can work with you to discover the things that are still working well for you & the things you may need to consider changing.  As a long-time diabetic, I find myself getting complacent and sometimes 'just' doing what I've always done without thinking much about how effective it is (or isn't).  Whenever I visit with a CDE, I come away more motivated, a bit humbled at the things I've forgotten or just put aside, and happy to learn some brand new things.  Perhaps a few sessions with a CDE will be a benefit to you, too.

The CDE can help you evaluate your basal (Lantus) dose & timing, your insulin sensitivity (how much humalog drops your blood sugar), your insulin:carbohydrate ratios, your time-of-day effects, etc.  

You've taken the all-important first steps by acknowledging you want to do better and reaching out for some help.  I imagine you'll feel better (physically & emotionally) when you take the next steps to improve your overall management.  

Good luck -- it does take marathon (not sprint) skills to manage our lives with diabetes.
Helpful - 0
I do totally agree with the answer that was given here to you. Some new refresher education may be just what you need for this point in your life. It may be time to make some changes, and only a professional can really help you evaluate what changes need to be made. Each of us is different, and what works for one diabetic person may be totally inappropriate for another. The first step is realizing that your control needs to be tightened up. And you are doing that. I personally test every 2-3 hours and adjust to the numbers I see. If high, and if it has been 3 hours since I took my quick-acting insulin, I can assume that I misjudged the carb content and need a little more insulin. If low at that point, I drink a little bit of juice to correct the low. I then take a supplemental unit or two to fix the problem. I take Lantus and Novolog, and doing this has offered me great control. Testing often seems to really be the key for me. If I test often and correct, I can't get real high or real low without catching it and stopping the problem.

But you should indeed work with your doctor on this. What works for me may be very wrong for you. But testing often is a good idea when you are trying to tighten up the control.
Helpful - 0
I haven't sat down with a CDE in quite awhile and I'm glad I'm getting a second opinion from and Endo. I check my blood six to eight times a day and agree that testing is the key. I also know I'm not as active now as I was in my 20's when I was running 4 miles, 4 times a week.  I had a hysterectomy in my early 30's but it doesn't mean my hormones are doing silly things in the middle of the night and that's why my fastings are so high.  Anyway, I really appreciate the encouragement.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Diabetes - Type 1 Community

Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333892766
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.