Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

2 yr old with diabetic symptoms

I have been type1 for 17yrs and am blessed to have a 3yr old son and 2yr old daughter.  my daughter has had wet through her diapers on several occasions this week and seems more thirsty.  she seems to play normally but curls up with her blanket and bottle  and lie down more frequently.  Yes, I know that is red flag, so i tested her sugar which was 149.  I am hoping (denial) that there are reasons for testing variance in kids.  ie growth hormones, low glycemic of soy milk (that is what she drinks mostly)  i know my son often seemed more thirsty/more urination at times but tested lower on glucose.  any positive thoughts
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
M
Hi,
yes i would agree to have her tested if you feel she is wetting more than usual and drinking more than usual.  My son was diagnosed March 2007.  The Dr.s and Nurses all said I was totally "in tune," with my Son.  They caught it early (prior to ketonacidosis state).  My Son too was urinating frequently and i noticed he was constantly going to the refridgerator to ask for something to drink.  He absolutely LOVES milk too.  I just thought he had a bladder infection etc. but nope turns out he has Juvenile Type 1 diabetes.  

M&M
Helpful - 0
It was  first thing in the am, however she had 2 bottles of half water/half soy milk overnight.  The drinking overnight has been for a long time, but the full diapers have been on the increase.  She is actually only 21 months old, so potty training is in the future.   thanks for any replies
Helpful - 0
I know being that your a type one diabetic you have thought about this but let me ask anyways.  How long did you wait to take her blood sugar after she ate.  Was it a fasting blood sugar if not What is her fasting blood sugar.  

The normal fasting blood glucose range for children in most labs is 60 to 100 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL). The normal range may vary slightly from lab to lab. Normal ranges are usually shown next to the results in the lab report. A fasting blood sugar level of 126 mg/dL or higher can mean your child has diabetes.

Test results are only one part of a larger picture that takes into account your child's medical history and current health. Sometimes a test needs to be repeated to check the first result. Talk to your health care provider about the result you got and ask questions.

Good Luck!
Helpful - 0
Hello BikingDiabetic,
We are volunteers here and not medical professionals.  I encourage  you to have your children tested by their pediatrician since you are observing some symptoms that might suggest abnormal blood sugars.

Depending on when a non-diabetic's blood sugar is tested, they may certainly see numbers in the 140s.  However, as you know all too well, as difficult as diabetes is, the real damage comes from uncontrolled and/or undiagnosed diabetes.

I can sure relate to wanting to ignore symptoms, and it could well be that your daughter get some 'special attention' for certain behaviors that she chooses to repeat (sibling rivalry can bring out all sorts of wonderful behaviors!), but the best thing to do for all of you is to have her tested.  To the extent that she's simply seeking more mommy-time now that her brother is at a demanding age, the pediatrician might have suggestions, too.

Good luck.  Your children are lucky to have such an attentive mom.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Diabetes - Type 1 Community

Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333892766
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.