Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Child full of energy even with lows?

M
My son is still full of energy even when his glucose is low even at 56 or so.  Daycare is surprised that he still runs around etc. when it is low shouldn't he be sluggish?  

Also he tends to get dark under the eyes and has started complaining about his stomach hurting at times does that have something to do with his diabetes?

M&M
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
My son gets super hyper when he's low, which you'd think would be opposite of how he should be. Almost deliriously hyper. Usually, though, his cheeks also turn pink and I can tell from them that he needs to be tested. Maybe that's what's happening with your son, too.
Helpful - 0
mlz
My T1 husband also gets dark circles under his eyes when he's starting to have a low reaction. Sometimes, I'm able to tell him to eat before he thinks it's that low. The circles will be there for 20 mins or so. Until his sugar is more normal. I like being able to spot that in him without him talking or walking. Take it as a good thing. Let his daycare know it's assocatite with his sugar levels. It may save your son from doing something embarrassing or foolish later in life if you can tell when he's going low.  :-)
Helpful - 0
If he continues to complain of stomach upsets, you might want to ask his endocrinologist to have him tested for celiac disease, which is more common among diabetics than among the non-diabetic population. Some doctors test all of their diabetic patients for this problem. It is easily treated with a dietary change to avoid wheat gluten, so it is nothing to worry about, but the undiagnosed celiac will suffer from stomach upsets often.
Helpful - 0
Hello M -
We are volunteers and not medical professionals, but we have a lot of experience with Type 1 diabetes.

Depending on your son's age, he might not have the vocabulary to tell folks when he's feeling low.  Low blood sugar symptoms often start with a feeling of an adrenalin rush -- which could, in a munchkin, feel like a trigger to run around.  If that's his 'symptom' of a low in day care, it is terrific that the caregivers have noted it.

Sometimes a high blood sugar can cause tummy upsets; I'd also encourage you to pay attention to other environmental issues:  recent foods/beverages that he might not be tolerating well, stressors in the environment from kids, adults, or 'scary' stories.

While it's often difficult to test a munchkin a lot, you might want to do blood tests when you see the symptoms you've described -- and then jot down the results so you can watch for patterns.  

Do talk with your son's pediatric endocrinologist, and I'd also suggest that you check out the JDRF branch/chapter in your area.  You can meet lots of parents & families in person and you'll find there to be great strength & power in those supportive relationships. One way to jump start that is to visit the JDRF website http://www.jdrf.org & click on Online Diabetes Support Team (ODST).  That's a sister-initiative to our Forum here, and the volunteers there will be able to connect you with others in your area.  If you visit ODST, please let them know we 'sent' you.

Good luck.

Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Diabetes - Type 1 Community

Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333892766
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.