Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Potty Training Question

My son is almost 3 and was diagnosed at 14 months with Type 1 Diabetes. We have somewhat began potty training and I know it's a bit different for children with diabetes in that he still doesn't go through a nap without peeing.

Just wondering how some of you dealt with potty training, tips, etc.

Thanks,
alison
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
M&M
My son started out potty training at 18months.  I know this is soon but i wanted to get him familiar as to what the potty/toilet was used for.  He took well to it and sometimes just played with it which was fine.  He was potty trained at 2years 2months.  We did not use pull ups during the day.  He wore underwear training pants at daycare and at home until bed time. On weekends he used underwear unless we were going out to the store.  We continue to use pull ups at bed time right now but he is taken to potty when he wakes up at night.  It is a job training with use of underwear but they learn much quicker and do not like the feeling of being wet or nasty.  
With him being trained at 2 years we were able to pick up on him with constant urination this led to his diagnosis.
Good Luck!!
Helpful - 0
Hello bisous,
We're volunteers here and not medical professionals.  The comment below has some good tips.  I'm sorry that I'm unaware of special needs for diabetic children the time of toilet training.

I do know that all diabetics can feel increased need to urinate if our blood sugars are high, but I think that diabetic munchkins have the ability to control the timing that others do.  Frequent urination is a symptom of undiagnosed or uncontrolled diabetes, as you know.  Once we get under reasonably control, our frequency is similar to folks without diabetes.  Of course, diabetics can never achieve perfect blood sugars all the time, so there will be ups & downs.

Good luck with toilet training.  You might find these websites helpful:
http://www.aap.org/pubed/ZZZR6LONH4C.htm
http://extension.missouri.edu/xplor/hesguide/humanrel/gh6128.htm

Good luck!
Helpful - 0
I am a mom with a just about to turn two year old and four year old.  I am diabetic,diagnosed at 11, not my children, so you can take what I say with a grain of salt.  I just thought I would tell you what I do with my 2yr old and what worked with my 4 year old.  I told them it was fine to wear a diaper when napping or sleeping, but when they are awake we wear underwear and use the potty.  I explained and discussed it and it worked for me.  I also just make it a habit to put my 2yr on the potty every morning and night and every couple of hours when I am at home(when I work I don't make the sitter do it)to make a routine out of it.  We are doing pretty good-still have accidents but the routine is working and I think we will be out of diapers for good soon!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Diabetes - Type 1 Community

Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333892766
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.