Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

life insurance

M&M
My husband and I are already seeing that my two year old son will have a hard time being approved for insurance.
Is there a special policy out there for youngsters with diabetes? Its a shame they are diagnosed so young too young to have did anything to themselves to cause this.  They dont smoke, drink etc.not fair to them.
My husband applied for another insurance policy since recently purchasing a motorcycle and our son was turned down on the Child rider policy.  
Can insurance companies deny him if he has an existing policy prior to diagnosis?
I hope there is a cure before he hits adult hood i am just thinking future need for him if one days he marries etc.  
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
FYI -- Gerber Life (Grow Up Plan) WILL NOT insure children with diabetes. I had never thought to get my son life insurance until he was diagnosed at 9 years old. Then all the things he couldn't do in life and all the challenges he would face hit me at once. Health and life insurance when he reaches adulthood being just two of the many concerns. I filled out a Gerber Life application in hopes he might qualify and he was flatly denied because of his type 1 diabetes. I wish now I had gotten him a policy when he was "healthy."
Helpful - 0
It is very hard for us to get any insurance. I tried and tried those companies through the yellow pages and I am too high of a risk. Usually if you find one, the premium will be outrageous. Out of pocket is horrible and leaves you broke.
I do not know where you are located but here where I live in Illinois, my husband got me state insurance. It's BC/BS payng their 80%. It's called, C.H.I.P.S. The premium, depending what coverage you need, depends on the cost.  Boy have they helped me! Meds hospital and doctors.  Hope this helps.
Helpful - 0
Life insurance IS possible, but it is pricey and he has to be in wonderful condition when it is purchased -- my husband and I were able to find a life insurance policy for me when I was in my early 30's (diagnosed at age 12). Things may well change by the time your son is old enough to want to purchase life insurance, and diabetes may not automatically disqualify him if progress has been made so that type 1 diabetics are being proved to live long and healthy lives by then.
Helpful - 0
Try gerber life
Helpful - 0
I am not a physician or insurance agent, but the mom of a type one diabetic.  I have been told by several insurance companies that they only way for me to get life insurance for my daughter is if my job offers life insurance for the family . I should get it as most insurance companies will not cover diabetes.

As for health insurance a child should be able to qualify for insurance at least Medicaid. Check with your local department of social services.  They might also have some helpful hints for life insurance.
Helpful - 0
This discussion was closed by the MedHelp Community Moderation team. If you have any questions please contact us.

You are reading content posted in the Diabetes - Type 1 Community

Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333892766
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.