Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

IS IT OKAY TO CHECK SITE OTHER THEN FINGER TIPS?

M
HI QUESTION FOR ANYONE.  MY SON IS TWO ALMOST THREE YEARS OF AGE.  HE HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED SINCE MARCH OF 2007.  HIS LITTLE FINGERTIPS ARE WORN OUT FROM BEING PRICKED 6 OR MORE TIMES PER DAY.  CAN WE ***** HIS TOES OR FORE ARM ETC?  ALSO,  SHOULD I GET A PSYCHOLOGICAL TEST ON MY SON BEING DIABETES HAS AN EFFECT ON HIS BRAIN DEVELOPMENT IF HE RUNS LOW?  HE SEEMS FINE TO ME EXCEPT WIHT HIS SPEECH AT TIMES MY HUSBAND AND I FOUND THAT WHEN HE IS LOW OR EVEN HIGH LIKE IN THE 300'S HE TENDS TO STUTTER.
THANKS
KEEP THE FAITH EVERYONE
M&M
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
t
hello! i am diabetic and when my sugar is low, i stutter too. i actually go almost completely out of it depending how low i am. i get really confused and disoriented. about the testing, depending on what meter you have, you can test other parts of the body. i know some meters let you use your forearm or toes. just check out different meters and talk with his doctors about the different options he has.
Helpful - 0
I know that there are some meters that use tinier drops of blood than others, and also that people can use sites other than fingertips with some meters (usually the ones that don't require a large blood drop). I have read, however, that sites other than fingertips can be less accurate. As to how different the glucose reading would be, it probably depends on the meter and perhaps on the size of blood drop. Fingertips are used most often because the blood vessels are near the surface and you don't get as much other body fluid mixed in with the blood drop (although I have also read that if you have to squeeze very hard, you may end up with other fluids mixed with the blood and may have a less accurate reading than if the blood drop pops up easily). Maybe that information will at least help you make an educated decision. You may want to do some research on meters that require tiny drops of blood, and maybe also on the accuracy of testing using other sites.

As for long-term brain development, I do know that doctors tend to keep blood sugar levels in small children slightly higher than in older children because the brain IS developing and low glucose levels have been shown in tests to cause some memory loss in adults, and therefore may be dangerous to little ones. The stuttering when low or high is because during those times his brain is starved for its primary fuel, which is glucose. When low, his brain doesn't have glucose to fuel it because he has too much insulin at work, and when high, his brain is still being starved from its required glucose because the body can't use the glucose that is in his bloodstream due to inadequate insulin. Both can cause the brain to temporarily not be able to work properly, and so confusion, speech problems, etc. can temporarily be evident when his sugars are 'off'. It sounds like you are watching it carefully, and as long as you are doing those frequent tests and are adjusting his levels throughout the day, he should be fine. I grew up as a type 1 and managed to be a valedictorian in spite of lows and highs in childhood... your good parenting will help protect his brain as it develops. I do wish him the best and encourage you to keep up the good work. It will get easier as he grows older.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Diabetes - Type 1 Community

Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333892766
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.