Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Wellbutrin and Ambien cause Seizures

I am on the insulin pump.  I am also taking Wellbutrin and Ambien.  My pump had a motor error yesterday and consulted my dr. who advised me to manually bolus with pump.  911 was called by my husband at 2:30 I was bouncing in the bed and he gave me o.j and sugar.  He said I bit the cup.  Once EMS was there they gave me a tube of glucose and checked my sugar which was 53. Could this have been caused by me taking wellbutrin and ambien?  
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
We are not pharmacists or physicians on this website, but I do have a suggestion for you. Please call your local pharmacist and ask if hypoglycemia can be a side effect of either of these meds or of taking both at the same time.

I did find this on the web about Wellbutrin:
'Wellbutrin is indicated for the treatment of depression. A doctor considering this as a first-line defense for an initial episode of depression should be aware that the drug may cause generalized seizures in a dose-dependent in some patients. The incidence of seizures may exceed that of other antidepressants by as much as four-fold. The relative risk is only an approximate estimate because no comparative studies have been conducted.'

So whether your seizure (which is what it appears you had if you were bouncing in the bed) was caused by low blood sugar or by the Wellbutrin, it may be hard to know for sure.

I would certainly call my doctor after talking to pharmacists and discuss the dangers of taking Ambien as a type 1 diabetic. It is absolutely CRUCIAL that you are able to wake up if your blood glucose gets too low. I personally would never take a sleep aid as a type 1 diabetic (this is of course my own personal opinion) -- night-time hypoglycemia can be very dangerous, even deadly. Better to find some other way to ensure a good night's sleep than to perhaps put you under so deeply that your body can't wake you up if you get hypoglycemic at night. It seems very possible that this medication may have made it impossible for you to wake up when your glucose dropped as you slept. You are very fortunate that your husband woke up to help you.

Do call your doctor and discuss the meds with him. I personally know how terrifying night lows can be, and I avoid them at all costs these days. I do wish you the best.
Helpful - 1
I just started Wellbutrin today and I have crashed twice already. I have had my normal meals with well-tested boluses, so I do think the Wellbutrin is reducing my insulin requirements.  
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Diabetes - Type 1 Community

Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333892766
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.