Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Remission

gwi
My granddaughter was diagnosed 4 years ago. She will be 11 in November. For the past few days her sugar has been low. She is having a hard time bringing it back up. Even when she suspends her pump for hours her sugar stays 70-80 and she still feels low. She also has been able to control her sugar this summer with just physical activity. Is it possible for her to go into remission or honeymoon period?
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I know it's possible to have an exceptionally long honeymoon period, because my daughter did, and it went on longer than anyone they'd seen at Children's Hospital before (about a year and a half). But her doc says there is no such thing as remission for type 1 diabetics. That said, she obviously needs to see her endocrinologist as soon as possible, because you don't want to run the risk of a dangerously low blood sugar. Has she been exceptionally active? That can really have an effect. When my daughter is swimming (she's a high school swimmer), her insulin dosage drops consideraby.

Anyway, she needs to see a doctor to figure out what's going on. This is an interesting situation-- I'd love to know what comes of it! It sounds like a good thing that she doesn't need her pump.....
Helpful - 0
Diabetes does not go into remission - ever.
Is your grandaughter eating properly/regularly?

You unfortunately can never stop taking insulin, never-
I have had it for 30 years and I am 32 years old.
Yes in plain english it sucks!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Diabetes - Type 1 Community

Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333892766
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.